Kaspersky - auto renewal only?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Primroselite, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Primroselite

Primroselite Private E-2

My free trial of Kaspersky anti-virus has run out. I was all ready to purchase the download and there was no way to opt out of auto-renew. Having had auto-renew issues in the past with BitDefender I won't make the purchase if I can't opt out. Here's my question - if go to a store and buy an anti-virus product on a disc, assuming this option still exists, will I open it up only to find that I must provide my credit card# (for convenient auto-renewal!) to get the product working?
    I did several searches on this subject and all I could find was cases where people were trying to escape auto-renew. Buying into it appeared to be a foregone conclusion.
    Thanks,
    P'lite

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Primroselite

Primroselite Private E-2

Thank you plodr. I will do that. No point contributing to businesses that engage in unacceptable practices.

4. okiedoki

okiedoki Private E-2

Auto renew subscription can not be turned off..Agree.. You can not tick this option off. it says internet connection not found. Then if you try again it will let you tick it, but never saves. I was gonna buy today, but this is stupid and rude.. I know when I need to renew.!!! .. If the purchase pages do not work what else..?

Why force me to auto renew.. and agree to terms of service for auto renew..?
    I guess I'll go back to my trusty Avast.. I was just testing because Avast missed a bad one last week. Malware bytes could not find it either.. Kaspersky did..! and fixed it.
    forced auto renew.. wtf.

5. Primroselite

Primroselite Private E-2

I downloaded the free Avast and it's working out fine. I hope lots more users are making this choice. Maybe it will force these companies to rethink this stupid practice. (Though I suspect it's working out for them or, you know, they'd rethink this stupid practice.) For the record, when I purchased my last anti-virus product online I made a point NOT to check auto-renew, and guess what happened the next year.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds