Kazaa Lite wont connect.

Discussion in 'Software' started by A-jay, Apr 14, 2004.

1. A-jay

A-jay Private E-2

After upgrading from ME to XP, I had to reinstal Kazaa Lite, but now it won't connect. For some reason I decided to look it up in crackspider.net and found a d/l called Kazaa Connection Fix. I downloaded it and it gave me a zip folder with 2 files in it:

Kazaa Connection Fix. Registration Entries
    Readme.txt

The readme is as follows:

Kazaa Lite Connection Fix
    By: Rider!
    Works on all Kazaa Lite and Kazaa Lite K++ versions!
    Compatibility:
    Tested on Windows 98(SE) and Windows 2000 Proffesional. Should be compatible with other Windows versions as well.
    What this patch does:
    Because Kazaa Lite is no longer a freeware program it is hard to find the installation patch, and any new installations of Kazaa Lite will no longer connect! However, users that already had Kazaa Lite by that time can still be able to use the program. This patch makes your computer believe that Kazaa Lite has already connected once, and that it should be able to do so again. This will allow you to use a newly installed Kazaa Lite anyway.
    How to use:
    Simply close down Kazaa Lite completely (including the tray icon) and dubbelclick the registry file. Now start Kazaa Lite again and it should work.

Brought to you by: Rider!
    Remember! For a long and healthy life:
    Don't Smoke
    Don't do Drugs (a lot)
    Work out regularly
    And drink 3 glasses of milk a day!

When i open Kazaa Connection Fix it brings up:
    Are you sure you want to add the information in C:\.........KAZAAC~1.REG to the registry?

When I click yes, it brings up:
    Cannot import C:\.........KAZAAC~1.REG: Error accessing the registry.

I click OK and it's gone.
    So, is that likely to be a problem with my computer not being able to access the registry or a problem with this file?

Or alternatively, is there another way to fix the connection problem?

2. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

3. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Well not really sure i should be helping you with this but if it was me i would right click on the reg file and open it with Notepad
    Read exactly what its trying to put in your registry, and if satisified this is a safe entry, go to start- run -type regedit and add those entries manually to see if it fixed the connection problem

Obviously i wouldnt do this without backing up the registry first ;)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756

EDIT:that will teach me to get a drink while posting someone always comes along and beats you to it

So maybe save the trouble and follow CPs advice :)

4. nicetime

nicetime Private E-2

Not true (to my knowledge) I use K-lite although I prefer my newsgroups but my K-lite still runs, yeah I would go with e-mule if you have to use a peer to peer but you should really look into newsgroups less risk

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

AFAIK newsgroups are just as risky. Yeah, K-lite still runs but the program is no longer available on the net to download. I think Kazaa thought it was getting a bit out of hand when they started charging for the program, which is ludicrous as they didnt actually OWN the network, and downright rude as well. a bit like getting the revenue for road tax when someone gets their car.

We cannot speak of these matters, however! not in any great detail anyway.

6. moediggity

moediggity Private E-2

I dont see why the hell not! whats everyone so damn frightened of?

7. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

YOU AGAIN??????? :mad:

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I'm getting the strange feeling of de-ja-vous. Oh yes look its the internet, this happens all the time.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  9. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Kazaa lite works fine here ( using it now ) ......and yea Emule is way better as far as quality but for me Kazaa is way faster so i have both :D

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ooof! That told them! bit more straightforward than the whole NT unix thing.. eassh...

Anyway... yeah p2p is a bit of an edgey subject as a) the content you download is usually illegal b)networks like kazaa is almost totally un-managed in any real way (thus the p2p part) rather than most other networks which are moderated to a greater extent. And discussions about p2p generally end up in either the thread being locked because the person was asking for information about getting illegal software, which would put MG in a bad light, OR it gets locked because some people have a love of "free software" which they feel they should shout about, and therefore turns into a flame war.

11. NeMeSiS 1337

NeMeSiS 1337 Private E-2

i had the same problem, but then i did a search. i use Kazaa Light Resurrection (sp?). It works perfectly fine for me.

12. A-jay

A-jay Private E-2

Interesting

All very interesting points. Thank you.
    To be perfectly honest, I just wanted k-lite to re-download all the software that came with my computer but I stupidly lost when I formated to instal XP. So it's not really that illegal, i did pay for it. Once.
    Anyway, I'll try manualy writing to the registry, if that doesn't work I'll get emule.
    Thanx again.

13. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

i really wouldn't recommend downloading programs off Kazaa (lite)... i know plenty of people that got viruses trying to do that as you can never ensure the safety of what you're downloading...

14. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Yea Kazaa + programs = death If your DLing programs defanitly go Emule!

I only use Kazaa for MP3s.......Emule for every thing else ;)

15. A-jay

A-jay Private E-2

ok, thanx for the heads-up.

not that i seem to have a choice anyway. it won't even let me write to the registry manualy, still says error accessing the registry. Is that a sepperate issue than needs to be addressed?

And speaking of sepperate issues, and mules, i don't mean to sound like an ass, but how do you put a little gif next to your nic when you post :confused:

16. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well, actually K++ is just KDM but modified with a load of widgets attached to it. So technically, its Kazaas coding, but theyve just hacked it a bit. Which would probably be fine, but they were trying to sell it, which isnt since they just modified somthing. Would be like getting a textbook free from somewhere, annotating it and selling it. Even if its more usefull that way, the thing is youre making a profit from someone elses work for the most part.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds