Keep em out! Hard drive encrypting

Discussion in 'Software' started by db000001, Sep 21, 2006.

1. db000001

db000001 Private E-2

I am plagued with a child that lives to hack my system.

XP Pro SP2 system, and accounts/passwords are not enought. He can reset passwords.

At "work" Pointsec is used on all laptops to encrypt the drive.

Any recomendations for mere mortals?

Thanks,
    Dana

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I can't imagine how he could be resetting your password if he is using a limited account and your own is an administrative. Only administrative and system accounts can reset an administrator's password. Have you set a password on the default administrative account? You can access this in safe mode, or by hitting ctrl+alt+delete twice at the welcome screen. If there's no password, you're leaving the door wide open for someone to gain access to reset passwords. A further step would be to DISABLE the administrative account, after making sure your account is an administrator, and setting a good strong password on that.

However, since you are on an XP pro system, you might want to consider visiting this link to learn about the group policy editor. With this built-in Microsoft tool, you can lock down an account so they can't even access any administrative functions! (not that a limited account can in the first place) Be careful with this though; you can easily lock a box down completely so that even the admin can't do anything, including revert the changes!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds