Keep getting this message: "Display driver has stopped responding..."

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by runfromabear, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runfromabear

runfromabear Private First Class

While using my computer I will often get the following message.

"Display driver has stopped responding and has been sucessfully recovered."

The computer freezes for a moment and then goes on like usual. I am starting of getting tired of this message though. How do I fix it? Do I just need a driver update?

I am running a Dell Vostro with Windows 7.

I am not sure what version of the driver I am currently running but if you tell me where to find it I can check for sure.

2. profkefah

profkefah Private E-2

its video card issue
    u have to update the video card driver
    so whats your laptop full model number
    and your operation system is 64 or 32 bit

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Are you running a desktop, or laptop?

If you have a desktop, do you have a graphics card installed?

What is the model number?

4. runfromabear

I am running a laptop and it is a dell vostro 3700. Windows 7 32 bit system.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, runfromabear...

What's your Dell Service Tag #? With this information we'll be able to supply you with a link to the correct driver software for your machine...

6. runfromabear

Service Tag: DG338N1

7. the mekanic

8. Caliban

Alright, here's the Dell driver page for your machine, and here's the video driver page - I linked to the main page in case you want to grab anything else. Download and install the video driver, make sure you reboot.

Edit: oops - sorry, mekanic - didn't see you lurking there!

9. runfromabear

Almost got is done, but when I got to the final stage. I got an error message that basically said.

Windows has dected an opertating system that is not Windows 2000 or XP. Than it said that the drivers only work for those systems and that the installation would be terminated.

I also selected windows 7 and 32 bit as my operating system.

10. Caliban

Good morning...

We need more info - please download and run Speccy, a free system information tool.

When the scan completes select 'File', 'Save as Text file', name the report, and save to an easily found location such as your Desktop.

Be advised: the report will display your IP Address and Windows Product Key. You may delete this information if you so wish.

Then attach that file to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

Also, please check the following: Control Panel > System Properties > Device Manager > Display Adapters. Drill down into your Driver Details sections and see if you can come up with a solid driver version number for us.

One more thing: do you have Windows Updates enabled, and is it set to automatically install updates? The possibility exists that Windows might have installed one of its video driver packages behind your back - not necessarily a disaster, but not always a good thing, either.

11. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

You can also do it this way- run the program and note the drive and directory the files get extracted to. Then after the files get extracted cancel the install. Then go to the Control Panel and Driver Manager. Right click on Display Adapters, click Update Driver Software, then select Browse My Computer for Driver Software. Then browse to the drive and directory that program extracted to, make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and click Next. Win 7 should find and install the newer driver.

Sam

12. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

13. runfromabear

Sorry, it has taken me so long to complete these steps. I downloaded and attached the file log for the program you recommended. Also my exact driver info is as follows: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330m Fileversion 2.1. Also, in regards the Windows I do have it set to automatic updates.

Attached Files:

14. runfromabear

Any more comments or ideas?

15. the mekanic

I do have an idea, if you have not yet tried it.

Completely uninstall the graphics software from the Programs list in Control Panel, then go to Device Manager and completely uninstall your graphics drivers.

Then reboot, and let Windows pluck what you need automatically with what it prefers from it's driver database.

Then, re-install the nVidia software for the 330T from nVidia if possible, or go with Dell if you don't have a choice.

It seems like the best way out at this point.

16. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

17. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The driver version you are running, if I read correctly is 2.1. As far as Windows updates - DO NOT let MS update any of your hardware. Suggestions as to what should be a suitable driver are wrong at times. If you let Microsoft update install a hardware driver, that could be the problem.

graphics chip: GeForce GT 330M (on the Dell site it says Geforce GT 330M-Discrete ) I wonder if that makes a difference?
    driver, only one version 6.14.11.8921, A02 wrong info as I discovered when doing a bit more digging.
    suitable for 32 and 64 bit Win 7 as well as 32 and 64 bit Vista and XP wrong the driver is for XP not Win 7!

It appears you are running the incorrect driver.

Download then install like this
    This is confusing.
    This page
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/ServiceTag/DG338N1
    shows a different driver than the previous page.
    version
    8.16.11.8921, A02
    and R292773.exe is the file that should be downloaded.

Apparently the version 6 is for XP, grab the version 8 for Win 7.

18. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

after searching nvida for your gpu and os they have a new driver you might want to try it in case its a driver issue.
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/50005

19. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

hugh750, did you read this under the download for the driver?
    That's why we usually send people to the manufacturer of the computer for the correct driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds