Keeping an HD Monitor clean.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xhayatox, Jan 4, 2012.

1. xhayatox

xhayatox Private First Class

Hey guys. I recently purchased an HD LED Dell Monitor for my PC computer, and I would like to know how I can effectively keep this computer clean from dust, scratches, etc. The Monitor came with a Microfiber cloth and I heard they're really good but not sure how effective they are. Do they leave any scratches? But yeah. Anyway, what is the best way I can keep this monitor in great condition? Thank you guys.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Microfiber is fine for dust removal and will not hurt the screen.

If you have a beefier cleaning issue (such as fingerprints or someone sneezing on the screen), the best cleaning method is to spray Windex on a soft cloth (such as a washcloth or microfiber towel available at your local dollar store), carefully wipe the surface of the monitor then turn the cloth over to dry it (do NOT spray the Windex on the monitor itself).

Although I normally buy store brands to save $$$, this is an exception. I've found that genuine Windex is worth an extra buck or two since it reduces streaking and residue.

Don't get ripped off on monitor cleaning solution or wipes. I tried the Inland brand wipes once to carry in my tech kit; they streak and leave a ton of residue.

Hope this helps. :)

3. xhayatox

Ahh that sounds great I really appreciate the advice. Now, Microfiber clothes, does it matter what kind I use? I heard a rumor that some Microfiber clothes may cause scratching, while others do not? I don't know if this is true because I thought they're all made from the same material so it's quite confusing.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Windex is the worst thing to use. Distilled water is the best for cleaning, or 1 part dishwashing liquid with 100 parts distilled water, which will help to cut the oils from people putting their fingers on the monitor. Just make sure that it is off and cool before cleaning.

As for weekly cleaning, just wipe with the microfiber. Now there are people that use the eyeglass cleaning kits also, which work real well.

5. xhayatox

Yeah I also heard Windex is somewhat detrimental for screens like this. Hmm, I don't think I have any distilled water though. What about if I buy one of those LCD cleaning kits? They come with some sort of liquid solution that is good for cleaning. I'm not sure how effective they are though..

6. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

When it comes to cleaning, microfiber is pretty much the same. Although there are more expensive products like Scam Wow (oops, I mean Sham Wow :-D), they aren't worth the extra $$$ since monitor cleaning is a light-duty job as opposed to washing the car or scrubbing the kitchen.

As for Windex, I've used it ever since my first flat screen monitor around 10 years ago. Between personal use and doing IT work for a few large companies, I have used this method to clean at least a few hundred monitors, notebook screens and flat screen TVs - zero damage, zero scratches and an end result that looks great every time. Beyond this, it's personal preference as to what cleaning method(s) you prefer.

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I usually use a damp cammera lens cloth, pretty simple......

Most windex contains amonia this will damage flat screens it can cause them to become brittle and even crack can also cause yellowing

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do not use windex or any kind of glass cleaner. Water sprayed on the micro fiber cloth so it is damp not sopping wet.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The reason for not using Windex, is that it tends to eat the anti-reflective coating.

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You could spend that much money, or just go to Costco or Sam's and get a eyeglass cleaning kit, or wipes. Distilled water you can get from your local Wal-mart, grocery store, Walgreens, etc.

11. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

I have found a 10 to 1 mixture of rubbing alcohol and distilled water using a microfiber towel works the best. Don't mix more than your going to use. I seems that the cleaning proprieties are gone after a few days. This works great on finger prints, and some other spots. With all the screens, I have cleaned they all come out looking new. I also use it on my eyeglasses.

12. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I use the 1/100 dishwashing liquid to water and keep it in a spray bottle, great to use for smokers like me. The only reason the liquid is needed is to break the water's surface tension. Just don't make it too strong as you'll have trouble getting the residue off.

I heard about this from a Discovery show a few years ago where this is what pro window washers use and I tried the same on my windows and it worked great! Just a few drops in a 2 gallon pail of water and I bottle it in one of my 500ml squeeze bottles, good for a year or more, costs basically nothing except for the microfibre cloth. I use it on my plastic eyeglasses too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds