Keeping CPU at 2600+ speed changing FSB and multiplier...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepygamer213, Aug 8, 2005.

1. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Is there a way for me to make my FSB 200 and change my CPU multiplier so that my cpu speed is the same? I need to change my FSB to 200 because thats what my RAM runs at but my CPU runs at 166 right now...

Ive got an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo...

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

3. sleepygamer213

My RAM is running at 166MHz(PC2700) in everest but when i change my FSB to 200 it runs at 200MHz(PC3200). But when im playing Battlefield 2, ill start playing and the game will shut down... then ill go back to previous settings and it runs regular... But when i change my FSB to 200 and the CPU multiplier to 9.5x, i choose save and exit and then my comp just goes to a black screen, then ill turn off and back on (not restart) and it boots up and FORCES me to change the settings since it says my comp was shut off improperly.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Could be lots of things?
    Did you check out the guide?

Before OCing you need learn the basics & then some.
    Ya must learn to crawl before you can walk.
    It might save you from frying your system.

Here this will come in handy, a bios guide:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=1

5. sleepygamer213

Ok I figured it out, all i had to do was change the memory frequency to 120% from 100% and it resulted in a frequency of 200 and my CPU is running at 166! I ran everest and it runs at PC3200 now :) .. but with timings of 3-3-3-8....

Also... that books' $30!! I dont have that kind of money for a book! Ive already spent plenty of money on my comp for 2 days...

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Theres no point having your memory at 200mhz if your fsb is only 166,think of it as a chain which goes information>memory>fsb,the system wont be any faster because the fsb cant let the info through because it is running slower,it can in some cases lower performance as the computer has to shuffle the info around to fit it through the fsb.

Try running some benchmarks to see if you gain any perfromance,this is one of the first things you will have to do when overclocking,make sure what your doing is making things better ;)

:)

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

The Bios Guide is FREEEE!

Your not supposed to buy the book, Just click on:
    "FREE Access To
    The BIOS Optimization Guide!"
    (Near mid page)
    Sorry I thought the link was for direct access??
    At the moment the page is unavaible, when it is you can retry or try this link:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx

8. sleepygamer213

Ok my memory latency, read and write has all increased... latency now is 126ns . read is 2195 ns. write is 875 ns, and before the read and write were 200-300 below what they are now (or more) and the latency was about 90...

and i gained 2-3 points in pcmark!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds