keyboard and mouse not working in xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by rmiller943, Feb 25, 2013.

1. rmiller943

rmiller943 Private E-2

I am working on a Dell XPS400. When the XP login screen comes up, the keyboard and mouse will not work. They do work with a bootable disk (UBCD).
    I have restored the registry to a time when it was working. No luck. Same thing. I have tried safe mode, command prompt and every other option in the boot menu with the same result. Have also tried XP repair. It gets to the part where user input is needed for computer name and no keyboard or mouse. I have run out of ideas. Anybody have any? Thanks

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Have you checked your drivers ??

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Read post #22
    Code:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2041146
    apparently the computer kills the USB ports after it POSTS.
    It sounds complicated but no other solution seems to work.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

5. rmiller943

rmiller943 Private E-2

I have removed the CMOS battery. Same result. Also tried the suggestion from plodr. Again, didn't work. As for the drivers, when I attempted a Windows repair, it would have put them in before before I got to the computer name screen. Thanks for the help, but I am stumped. Any other ideas?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds