keyboard doesn't work after reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtranch613, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mtranch613

mtranch613 Private E-2

Occasionally, after rebooting my computer, my keyboard won't work, even the lights for num-lock etc., don't work. It happens maybe every couple of weeks but it always seems to happen when I'm in a hurry (and I can't login if the keyboard won't work). Restarting the computer usually fixes the problem although sometimes it takes multiple restarts. (Today, it took 4). A couple of times this has happened even while logged in. I leave the computer for a while and when I come back-no keyboard but most of the time it is only after restart.
    I'm running XP on a Gateway. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks!

Can you try another keyboard to see if it is a keyboard issue or another problem? I am assuming you have a desktop 'puter.

E

3. mtranch613

mtranch613 Private E-2

I forgot to mention in the previous email, that I've tried several keyboards. The first one I used had been used with another computer with no problems. That one got drink spilled on it, so now I'm using the one that came with the computer and still have the same problem.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

was it connected to this computer when you spilled a drink on it? might be the problem.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Is the keyboard wired or wireless? Also PS/2 or USB.

6. mtranch613

mtranch613 Private E-2

the keyboard is wired and it was connected to the computer when it got drink spilled on it but I had the problem before the drink was spilled on the keyboard.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Is it wired using the PS/2 port or a USB port?
    If USB, have you tried another port?

8. mtranch613

mtranch613 Private E-2

PS/2 Port, I don't have a converter right now or I would try the USB port for a while and see if it happens again. I can't recall if the last keyboard was PS/2 or USB.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds