Keyboard Drivers Don't Load During Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, May 5, 2013.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

When I switch my PC on the keyboard won't function until boot up is complete. For the most part, this is not a problem; however, let's say I wanted, or needed, to go into Safe Mode I can't No amount of pressing F8 will elicit any response. Can I do anything to change the way things boot up so the keyboard drives load up early enough?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

desktop or laptop? PS/2 or USB keyboard?

3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Desktop PC: Hewlett Packard Pavilion Slimline 5770uk-m

Operating System: MS Windows 7 (x64) HP SP1

Keyboard: Hewlett Packard USB keyboard

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Therein lies the problem. The USB drivers don't load until after the OS. You'll need to attach a serial keyboard.

5. plodr

6. plodr

7. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Only got USB ports.

8. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

9. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Plodr,

Thank you for your help my problem is resolved. In following those instructions I believe I may now understand why I had the problem. My keyboard was plugged into a USB hub. As you rightly pointed out my desktop only has USB ports; however, it has very few. I have now plugged the keyboard directly into a USB port of the desktop itself. I can now reboot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 on the keyboard.

Thank you again!

10. plodr

Thanks for letting us know.
    It's okay to use a hub, just not for keyboard and mouse.
    I suggest too that if you want a hub. get one with its own power.

11. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

OK I'll take note of what you say and consider that option. To be honest I've always had the mouse plugged into the hub. To say most things connect to PCs by USB nowadays and my PC is relatively new they're been very mean with the number of USB ports.

I don't suppose .... you know much about Outpost? Started a thread; it's had lots of views but no replies. I won't be presumptious and provide a link but rather than you search for the thread I will provide a link if your knowledge goes in that direction.

Thank you for the help with the keyboard. I should have come on here earlier. It was quite a big problem with a very straightforward solution.

12. plodr

I've never used Outpost so my knowledge is zilch.

13. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

OK thank you. From what someone else has said and from the lack of replies I've received no one seems to know about Outpost. That concerns me from the perspective of should I be using it. I chose it because it was recommended on Majorgeeks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds