keyboard gone crazy

Discussion in 'Software' started by arabelleinbe, Jun 3, 2008.

1. arabelleinbe

arabelleinbe Private E-2

Hello to all.
    The keyboard of my laptop has suddenly gone completely crazy. One day everything was fine and the next some letters had become digits.
    After careful testing it appears that the keyboard is divided into two parts: the left side types in letters and the right side replaces the letters by digits.
    How bizarre is that!? I've tried reconfiguring the keyboard but it doesn't change anything. As I suspected some kind of virus or worm (I had some problems with fujacks some time ago) I ran an in-depth scan using Eset but nothing was detected. The laptop looks clean.
    This is really weird and I've no clue about what could have happened. :confused
    Can the geeks help?
    Thanks in advance.
    arabelleinbe

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to find the num lock key and togle it off, otherise pressing m gives you zero, j =1, k=2, etc. The numbers are printed on the keys.

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

yeh, you need to look at your keyboard. on my compaq, i have to hit the "function key", and some other key to enable # lock (or other functions). just pay close attention to your keyboard. if your unsure, post your make (ie- dell, etc), and model of your laptop (or a service tag #), and maybe we can help you further. - g/l, sos

4. arabelleinbe

arabelleinbe Private E-2

Obviously, ridicule and embarrassment don't kill you as I'm still alive to thank you for pointing out the obvious. How could I not think of that?
    :eek: but there ought to be a redder smiley.
    Thanks, plodr

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

We've all done things like that. You get to help the next person that posts with the same problem. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds