keyboard gone crazy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eldárwen, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Eldárwen

Eldárwen Private E-2

Hi,

My keyboard seems to be possessed by the evil keyboard pixie. Now when I use certain keys, the shift key being the most annoying one at the moment, my pc opens another page. It goes to demo, changes my volume, opens my works program. It has done it several times just typing this. I have to constantly close out other programs. Can anyone help me be rid of this foul creature?
    Thanks so much!
    Eldárwen

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Wow, I've not seen anything like that. Do you have virus protection and anti-spyware programs? If so, try running them.

You could also check the shortcuts for the programs that are being opened. If you go to the Start Menu and right click on the program and select properties, there is a box called Shortcut. It should say "None".

3. Eldárwen

Eldárwen Private E-2

i have ran adaware, spybot, registry first aid and a virus scan. i just checked the programs that are being opened. the only one that has a shortcut box is my works program and it says none yet it opens when i use my right shift. the left shift opens a demo tour. quicken and media player also open with my arrow keys :S
    thanks for your help. i'll keep looking

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Ok, close all your programs and look in Task Manager and list the processes that are running.

5. criminelis

criminelis Corporal

I had stuff like that once... But that was because i spoiled soda over my keyboard

Have you tried a different keyboard?

6. Eldárwen

Eldárwen Private E-2

wyatt,
    well, i'm not sure where the task manager is but i did the ctrl/alt/del to get these programs;
    Explorer
    Reminder
    Remind32
    Adusermon
    Systray
    Loadqm
    Atiptaaa
    Stimon
    Imgicon
    3dmouse
    Wmexe

...and no spills on the keyboard. the spare keyboard i have doesnt not fit.

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Borrow a keyboard that fits and try it. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds