Keyboard inputs messed up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geeky_McGeekenstein, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Geeky_McGeekenstein

Geeky_McGeekenstein Private E-2

My keyboard has gone haywire with many of inputs not doing what theyre supposed to

-Random letters open up window prompts [r = run prompt, f = search prompt, m = minimize etc]
    -Alt, shift and ctrl do nothing

I've ;looked up ease of access settings in contro;l pane;l but no fi;lter or sticky key settings are ticked

Tried pressing FN and Windows keys to no avai;l

On ASUS ;Laptop\, Windows Vista

Thanks

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Geeky_McGeekenstein.

Some things you might try:

1. Power down and completely remove the battery for awhile. Plug it back in and restart, see if your symptoms change.

2. If you can get your hands on a USB keyboard, try it and see if there's a difference.

3. Does the laptop keyboard work while in BIOS and/or Safe Mode?

4. If all else fails, try to find the service manual for your model at the Asus website, which might show steps for disconnecting/reconnecting the keyboard - there may be a loose connection or dirty contacts.

3. Geeky_McGeekenstein

No ;luck with your suggestions

Down;loaded a program that ;logs key inputs and found that;l

- Window key inputs 'F12 and O'

A;lso shows no key is physically 'stuck' so no idea whats wrong

Even tried disab;ling FN and Windows key using a p9rogram ca;l;led sharp9keys and it's not worked

thanks

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

How many Windows keys do you have 1 or 2? If only one is it on the left or right of the spacebar? It certainly sounds like the Windows key is stuck. Have you tried repeatedly tapping the Windows key (in the hopes of unsticking it) and pressing "r" to see if it keeps opening the run command.

Looking at your first post in this thread I see one time (in the word ctrl) where your "l" is not preceded by a ";". All other times you press l is comes out ;l. I don't know how that happens but it makes it seem mechanical rather than a software problem. Is your keyboard laid out with the key for semicolon directly to the right of the l key as most standard keyboards?

Which keylog program did you try--it seems to me there should be some evidence of the ;l problem in a keylogger.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Attach an external keyboard and tell us if it reacts the same. If yes, then it is a software problem; if no, then it is a hardware problem.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

I agree that it seems you have some faulty inputs on your keyboard, and you should confirm/disprove this idea by attaching an external keyboard to try. Even if you have to buy one and take it back when you're done (or keep it if it fixes the issue).

I've found that even a single 1/4" long hair can completely screw up a key on a keyboard if it's in there in the right (well, wrong) spot. Likely you lodged a few crumbs, hairs, etc. inside the keyboard inadvertently. In that case, if you have the confidence to remove the keyboard, do so and put it in the dishwasher (top rack works best), then after towel drying, let it dry THOROUGHLY ensuring no moisture remains, and hook it back up. If there's still moisture, hooking it back up could ruin the keyboard, but as long as you let it completely dry it will be fine.

Again though, I second the suggestion to hook up an external keyboard to confirm that these suspicions are correct.

7. Geeky_McGeekenstein

So today the problem seems to have rectified itself, no idea how I managed it though.

Thanks for you help, I'll try out different keyboard if the problem reoccurs.

;l happened every typed I l, just sometimes I'd delete the semi colon to make the text more coherent. Just didn't do it all time.

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. Keep us posted. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds