keyboard issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jhale316, Apr 18, 2008.

1. jhale316

jhale316 Private E-2

Hi there, first off let me just say this forum has been an invaluable tool for me and there are tons of great tips and tricks in here.

Ok on to my problem. My girlfriends son decided it would be a grand idea to spill some form of liquid on the keyboard. So of course the kb is fried, but heres the kicker. Neither the physical kb nor the on-screen kb works properly. What could have happened that would have caused both physical and on-screen to fail. She's using XP pro. When the physical kb is plugged in, it makes the system speaker beep like a key is being pressed too long, so she unplugged it and attempted to use the on-screen, which worked for a bit. Then she rebooted and now the on-screen has fail.

Would anyone know if this can be solved w/o having to do a MB replacement or reinstalling XP?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I'm presuming this is desktop pc?

Have you tried another keyboard at all?

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Seems a bit drastic for a possibly dead keyboard, even if the liquid shorted the usb supply, which I doubt.

First off whilst using the onscreen is a good idea the system BIOS probably expects a working keyboard to be plugged in. Indeed some won't even load Windows without, but return an error message. So don't be discouraged if yours doesn't work.

Why do you think this?
    Secondly you may well be able to clean up and then dry out the keyboard thoroughly. One service tech recommends the dishwasher and then baking at very low level in an oven, but they are usually simple to open and clean.
    this is not a job worth paying for as new keyboards are so cheap, but you could do it yourself.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

And welcome to MajorGeeks jhale316!

E:D

5. jhale316

jhale316 Private E-2

Thanks to all that replied but we figured out the issue over the weekend. We just needed to replace the kb.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

There ya go. Panic over. Thanks for the feedback.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds