Keyboard Keys Changed on reinstall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joe berg, Dec 23, 2009.

1. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Merry Christmas All!

Just got PC back after new hard drive fitted so a reinstall on XP. There I am merrily tapping away when I realise some of the keys have changed. @ is now " the pound sterling sign has dissappeared and become the hash hey and the hash key is back slash or when held with shift | the numbers and letters seem fine. I have made sure it is set to UK English in the regional settings. Any ideas ????

Joe

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Yes, this is due to US keyboard settings on a UK keyboard. Use the control panel to set your keyboard to the correct location, i.e., UK. UK keyboards have " above 2 and @ above ' whereas US keyboards have the keys that you describe.

Use this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306560 but setting UK where appropriate.

3. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Hi Maxwell

No joy I'm afraid. The first thing I did was to change to UK settings and have checked several times they have not defaulted and just rebooted for good measure but alas to no avail ....

Jo3

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Hey Sachs 2

Thanks Mate

As I think you maybe a chap I will offer you a warm firm handshake, if perchance I am mistaken and you are of the fairer sex I offer you the spare room at my mothers. When I went to languages originally it was not obvious to change from US to UK therefore I went straight to advanced and changed it there which as far as I was concerned was fete acomplis or words to that affect..

chin chin

Joe

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

When I look at those instructions now, I see it can indeed be confusing. It always seemed strange that you have to change the language in two places.

I'm glad you got it sorted! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds