Keyboard/Mouse randomly stop then start responding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Valiantius, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Valiantius

Valiantius Private E-2

Hello, and good day everyone! Just a bit peculiar problem here that I cant seem to figure out with my PC. It is newly built (just about a month ago), and I am having a problem with my keyboard and mouse randomly stop responding, then somewhere between 10sec - 1min, it starts working again. Each time they do that, I hear a device disconnect, then a device connect sound. And this can happen while doing anything from gaming, to say typing up a forum post, and if my mouse doesnt stop, it lags around for a bit, then gets back up to speed.

I have went through a few keyboard and mice trying to figure out if it was a mobo issue, or an issue with the keyboard and mice. This problem started I want to say about a week or so after I built the computer. I have went into power options and disabled USB select suspend thinking that would do it, but to no justice did it work.

I also checked to see if was a driver issue by updating to latest drivers using IObit Driver Booster, along with scanning my system for any viruses and errors as well, and the problem still happens; here is the info on my build below:

Windows 7 SP1 x64 (Fully Updated)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB Kit DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) x2 16GB RAM total
    Network: On-Board wired connection, and TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Adapter (Disabled)
    Graphics: ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB OC (latest drivers)
    OS Drive: Patriot Pyro SATA III 120GB SSD
    Other Storage: 2x 1TB Hitachi Drives, and 500GB Seagate
    Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech MK120 Combo (New)

Security Software: Agnitum Outpost Security Suite Pro, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and Hitman Pro(quick scan on boot only), Windows Defender(Disabled)

System Checkup Software: IObit Advanced Systemcare 7.1 Pro, CCleaner 4.10, Wise Disk Cleaner

And not sure if this is part of the problem either, but I encountered a BSOD while trying to type this post, my kb/mouse froze up, and the BSOD popped, here is the info taken from the dump file:

==================================================
    Dump File : 012514-13806-01.dmp
    Crash Time : 1/25/2014 7:31:18 AM
    Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
    Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
    Parameter 2 : fffff960`000e0300
    Parameter 3 : fffff880`0bc32ea0
    Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
    Caused By Driver : win32k.sys
    Caused By Address : win32k.sys+d0300
    File Description :
    Product Name :
    Company :
    File Version :
    Processor : x64
    Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
    Stack Address 1 :
    Stack Address 2 :
    Stack Address 3 :
    Computer Name :
    Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\012514-13806-01.dmp
    Processors Count : 4
    Major Version : 15
    Minor Version : 7601
    Dump File Size : 297,992
    Dump File Time : 1/25/2014 7:32:45 AM
    ==================================================

If I could get some help on this matter, that would be very much obliged.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you have tried multiple keyboards and mice and they all do the same thing, then it is not the keyboards and mice.

Have you tried different USB ports?

Wow!!! Windows 7 is NOT XP. You do not need all that stuff hogging all your system resources to stay secure. In fact, running two security suites at once has never been a good idea as there is a big potential for conflicts (two dogs guarding the same bone, each wondering what the other dog is up to). If nothing else, it is a big waste of system resources. I recommend you uninstall Agnitum or Emsisoft and just use one. Or, uninstall both and install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and enable Windows Firewall for an even lighter resource footprint.

I would also disable Hitman Pro scans at boot and reserve Hitman Pro for "manual" supplemental scanning only.

Wow again!!! And again, W7 is not XP! One cleaner or the other - not all 4. I recommend CCleaner BECAUSE it is NOT very aggressive, it's recovery function works, and it is highly customizable.

Once you get all that bloat off your system, and have tried a different pair of USB ports for your keyboard and mouse, if still having problems, you need to get on record with Gigabyte that you have a motherboard issue.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

^ What Bill said above.

For a quick and dirty check on how well you're doing with trimming the software load, open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Esc) at each boot up, drag it to the minimum size, click the Performance tab and go to View > Show Kernel times. This will add a new line (red, 1 vertical line is ~ 20%) which shows how hard the Windows kernel is working.

The kernel runs at a high priority and is a good indicator of Windows/driver/software efficiency. 8% or higher will add noticeable lag, higher than ~12% and it will feel like wading through treacle. Aim for 0-1% at idle on a multi -core CPU, a single core will run a little higher.

4. Digerati

Hmmm, "Show Kernel Times" is not an option in W8.1 TM.

5. satrow

That shouldn't be a problem here, Bill:
    Is there a method of doing similar in the Resource Monitor with W8/8.1?

6. Digerati

Right - I was just "hmmming" out loud! ;)

7. Valiantius

Valiantius Private E-2

Yes, I have the keyboard has stopped acting up, but my mouse still does.

I know Windows7 is much more secure than XP and also runs a lot better, and I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but I paid for those programs, and Emsisoft has no problems working side by side with Outpost. And I have been using them this way for quite some time, even before this build, and have run into no issues. But I did put Hitman Pro on manual scans only. System boot up is quick, and resources cap @ 12%(Phys. Mem), 5% CPU when they are updating, and usually sit at 8% Mem.

Advanced Systemcare I use to keep my system tuned up, and running smoothly, and run it on a weekly basis, since I am using my PC heavily daily. I use CCleaner to remove old system restore points, and startup entries, and some cleaning, since it gets stuff that Systemcare misses. As for Wise Cleaner, I use it to get rid of downloaded files that windows puts on the PC from updates and all that.

Once you get all that bloat off your system, and have tried a different pair of USB ports for your keyboard and mouse, if still having problems, you need to get on record with Gigabyte that you have a motherboard issue.[/QUOTE]
    I may just contact Gigabyte, and see what they have to say.

2% at idle

8. Valiantius

Valiantius Private E-2

And I may have solved the problem, it may have been with my BIOS the whole time. I noticed that my BIOS version was F5 from 5/16/2013, and the ones listed on Gigabytes' website, is only F7(8/5/13), and the beta BIOS F8C(10/23/13). So I updated to the F7 update, (I don't trust beta anything!) and so far so good, my keyboard only acts up now when playing games with the WSAD movement keys, and my W "supposedly" gets stuck, but a quick tap fixes it, no big deal. My mouse however has had no more problems, and I was playing games and doing whatever for 5hrs after the update.

I have never heard of a BIOS messing with usb ports.

9. satrow

Strange things happen, Val, pleased that you've improved your Windows experience, whatever the cause.

10. Digerati

You are not - no worries. And I am glad you are happy with your security. As long as all works and this solution is not hogging too many resources, no problem.

11. rjordan

rjordan Private First Class

Just a observation/comment.

I have heard of several logitech keyboards (mainly earlier versions of the models), have a common issue of the "W" key getting stuck or non-responsive, for example if you are running forward "W key", and then lighten the pressure to "run slower", it will often mark the system as no longer pressing W, and you need to fully go off the W key and then press hard to re-link it sort of thing.
    From what I heard, the only fix is to swap the keyboard for a newer model (if this is covered/the actual same issue)

Just a tip

12. Digerati

And where have you heard this? Got a link?

I note mechanically, the "w" key is no different from any other key. So why should "w" be different?

13. rjordan

I read up on it from various reviews. I have been researching around, looking for a new keyboard/mouse myself, and I saw that same sort of issue on several of the logitech keyboards.

I want to say Newegg and... a couple other places.

I could hunt around a bit I suppose, just figured I would clue you into that in case you wanted to try that approach to see if it matches your own problems. Right now your search seems narrowed down to BIOS/OS/Software/Driver related solutions, figured this tip might help your search

14. Digerati

I don't put much stock in "user reviews" unless there many reporting on the exact same problem with the exact same model number.

Happy users typically don't complain, or write reviews. Most users are incapable of performing proper reviews. That is, they don't have the training or comparative products.

15. rjordan

Indeed there were several who verified the same thing.

I dont take much stock in isolated rantings, but when 5 people say the same thing...

16. Digerati

Not doubting you saw those, but I would like to see a link. I note you reported this is a problem with "several" Logitech keyboards which suggest a systemic problem. That would be a serious issue, in my book, and a potential reason to avoid all Logitech keyboards.

Now you are saying 5 people and I note Newegg has over 65 Logitech keyboards.

I repeat what I said earlier, I don't put stock in user reviews unless many report the exact same problem with the exact same product.

5, 10, or even 15 bad reviews over 65 products is not a trend.

17. rjordan

Believe what you will. Don't have the time to browse around to find where I saw those entrys, gather links to specific entrys, etc...

Just putting my input in to try and help, take it if ya want or disregard as not reliable, not my concern.

18. Digerati

Huh? No time or concern? Don't you care if the information you are passing on is true?

I only want to know what the facts are - for me, for those reading, and for those we give keyboard advice to in the future.

You are making a serious accusation about an entire category of products from a major, and reputable keyboard manufacturer. And you are doing it in the "Hardware" forum of a very popular technical support site frequented by newbies and experts alike - experts who use information like that when they provide advice. And while I note you say "mainly earlier versions of the models", that does not exclude currently available models.

And that's great - these sites need expert advisers to exist.

But "your input" suggest users might want to avoid Logitech keyboards completely! Is it not your concern "your input" is not verifiable???

I take the time to provide links because I hate to be wrong, especially when giving advice. Checking links ensures I know what I am talking about, posting them lets readers verify I do too. Or at least let's them see what I base my position on - important if you want users to have the correct information, and have confidence in your advice. I don't expect you, or anyone to take my word because I say so.

So refusing to substantiate your claims forces us to. :( Sadly I can't seem to verify your claims as I cannot find any trend or pattern of "several" Logitech keyboards with this problem.

Bing search for: Logitech keyboards have w key problems - I see two people in 2008 with one model, the G15 V.2.

Google search for: logitech keyboards "w" key problems shows one person in 2006 with the same keyboard model (version # unknown) with w and s key problems.

I am not trying cause problems or give you a hard time. I am just trying to ensure we all have the facts needed to make informed decisions.

19. rjordan

It is an issue of lack of time. I am at work. In between issues, I come here and browse around to help out. I do not have the time nor will to dig through all the information that I happened to see during several hours of looking through reviews on various sites.

If my "input" is not welcomed due to this, then fine I simply won't offer suggestions any further.

I am not attempting to disrepute a major brand to defer people purchasing it, I am buying Logitech keyboard, mouse and headset myself.

Everything has flaws. No harm in pointing them out so this poor guy can stop pulling his hair out if it turns out to be an issue with the keyboard itself.

As I said before, it was simply a suggestion to look into based on what I saw browsing around.

Pretty sure my replys have been "suggestions to research into that area". Not claiming it is a 100% confirmed fact with cited references.

Regardless, I posted that as a helpful suggestion, but thank you very much for showing how appreciated it was.

20. Digerati

To be sure, I am NOT on staff here so not my call. But as I noted before, tech sites need good helpers.

However, IMO, when giving technical advice, it is important to be accurate for the sake of our own reputation and credibility, and for that of the site. If one is going to make a "statement of fact" but is unwilling to substantiate it with supporting evidence - especially when there is controversy over those facts, then perhaps it is best if those statements not be given, or at least be given prefaced with "in my opinion".

So "in my opinion" there is no evidence to support your claims - other than 3 cases reported over 5 years ago for 1 model Logitech keyboard.

:( Also like I said above, I don't post then simply expect you or others to take what I say as the Gospel. I can be arrogant, but not that arrogant. I am sorry you don't have "the will" to verify your facts, or to present supporting evidence so others can. IMO, that hurts your credibility. I would advise you take the time and be willing to backup your claims with supporting evidence - that is, if you want others to take your advice seriously.

That could have been done in the time you took to defend not doing it. :(

Anyway, enough OT. Sorry Valiantius for the distractions and my part in it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds