Keyboard not responding on Acer Aspire One

Discussion in 'Software' started by subedo, Jan 9, 2011.

1. subedo

subedo Private E-2

Hi, newbi here, hello :)

I have an Acer Aspire One notebook. Two months ago I very stupidly spilled my cider onto my Acer, like a ninja I immediatley turned it upside down to dry out, I havent touched it untill this week.
    It starts up, makes a high pitched noise until the windows start up, then shuts up. Key board not working very good, hit and miss as to whether keys work.
    I plugged in another keyboard and this has been working until now.
    I've tried re-booting but this has not done anything.
    Now if I do manage to open anything, I cant do anymore than that, the mouse is working ok.
    Is there anything I could do or should I just bin it.
    Oh, and there arent any tech minded peeps in this houshold. :-o

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

One thing I can say, is the Sony Vaio has a very nice rubberized keyboard.

IF you are capable, I would take it apart, and THOROUGHLY clean it.

Other thing that bears mentioning, if it is possible to pull the battery from your laptop/netbook, pull it IMMEDIATELY should you spill any liquids on it.

That kind of goes for ANY piece of battery powered hardware.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Here's a quick trick that may (or may not) work.

* Unplug the external keyboard from the USB port while the PC is turned off.

* Start up the PC, let it boot and get to the Windows desktop (or, if you have a password set, the password screen).

* Plug the external keyboard back into the USB port. Be patient. It may take up to 2 minutes for the system to recognize it depending on the speed of your PC.

I have the same issue with an external mouse on my notebook; this usually works.

4. subedo

subedo Private E-2

Hi guys, thanks for getting back to me.
    Yes , mekanic the Sony Viao is a nice little comp, my eldest daughter has one, unfortunatley my budget wont stretch to a new one :-o
    I'll have a go at taking the keys off and cleaning undernieth, got nothing to loose really!! would and is it easier to install a new keyboard??

gman86, I've done what you have suggested and to some degree it works, I have to wait a little longer that 2 mins :)
    I just get a little confused as to which keyboard Im working on, ha ha.

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you are not familiar with working on notebook PCs I do not recommend attempting this yourself. On most notebooks, getting to the keyboard requires removing the motherboard and completely dissembling the unit. Pulling individual keys from the top may cause damage to the keyboard itself.

My advice is to find a friend or co-worker (such as the IT guy at work) who has done this before and see if they want to make a few extra bucks on the side. That, or call around to a few local PC shops to see how much they would charge to replace the keyboard - if you're lucky they may have a good used one for your machine they'll sell/install cheap.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm not sure that getting to the keyboard is as easy as this guide shows but it looks like you could rather easily detatch the keyboard for cleaning.

This one says no need to undo the eight screws.

Cleaning a keyboard can be hit or miss. At around $20 for a new one it may be worth trying a replacement.

I wonder if you removed the old one and tried to boot with only the external if it would boot without the squeal?

7. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds