keyboard problem. letters repeating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpecialFNK, Jun 2, 2012.

1. SpecialFNK

SpecialFNK Private First Class

not long ago I got a new computer, it's an Acer.
    I was using an older keyboard that I had from a previous computer, which was an HP. I ended up spilling a drink on the keys. I took it apart and cleaned it, but after putting it back together some of the keys did not work. I never had any problems with this keyboard.
    I had another older keyboard, also an HP, but different and smaller in size. I was using this keyboard, but sometimes letters would repeat without an actual key sticking. like if I would be typing say my last line "without an actual key sticking" one of the letters would repeat like "without an actualllllllllllllllllllllllllll" I would never know when it would happen and it was annoying having to check what I typed and backspace to erase it, then sometimes backspace sticks and erases a lot more than I want to. ugh eh.
    so I bought a replacement keyboard. this time buying one that the guy at the store said would be fine, this is Dynex. I haven't had the repeating letters problem, but sometimes nothing works. I will be typing and the keyboard just stops showing up the letters I'm typing. I don't know why, but I click the screen again with mouse and they keyboard will work again.
    this is frustrating. I don't want to go buy another new keyboard if another keyboard might have a problem too.
    is there any reason one would know of why this is happening? and what I could do to solve this?
    if it helps I have Windows 7, and I use Firefox as my browser.

2. SpecialFNK

BUMP.
    never got a response for this.
    it wasn't doing it as often for awhile, but now again every day multiple times. I've switcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeboard a fffffwtimes.
    ugh this is ridiculous. I was going to say I've switched keyboards a few times, and that's what it did.
    any ideas?

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hello,

Apologies for you not getting a response. Thank you for being patient and waiting to bump.

Can i just confirm that your computer repeats keys with any keyboard that you use?

4. SpecialFNK

I had a keyboard maybe 3 to 4 months ago that did not do this. I don't remember what name brand it was. but then I spilled a drink on it. after cleaning it, some of the keys did not work, so I had to change. since then I think I've went with standard keyboards and maybe they've been too cheap? I've been thinking about buying a new one, but something more expensive than $20.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

So all of the keyboards you have been using for a while repeat keys?

If so then the keyboards might not be at fault as keyboard failures like this shouldn't occur one after the other in a short space of time

6. SpecialFNK

I hadn't look up the keyboard properties on my computer until just now, and I see this.
    character repeat.
    repeat delay
    long_________________short. and it's set about 3/4 of the way across.
    repeat rate.
    slow.................................fast. it's set at fast.

I don't know what any of those mean. should they be different?

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

those settings change how long it takes before you holding down a key makes the computer repeat it, and how fast it repeats it once it starts. Those values seem normal to me.

What method are you using to plug the keyboards in?

Do you know if you have any non-microsoft keyboard drivers installed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds