Keyboard works in BIOS but not XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgplastics, Jan 24, 2012.

1. sgplastics

sgplastics Private E-2

I'm trying to fix a coworkers Dell Vostro 200 running XP. The keyboard will not work but the mouse is fine. I've tried multiple keyboards that I know work on other computers so I know the keyboard itself is not the issue. The computer has no PS2 ports so it's a USB keyboard. Other usb devices like thumb drives work. The lights on the keyboard light up and the specialty keys like for opening the calculator and mail work.The keyboard does work in BIOS. I was getting a keyboard failure press F1 to continue error before Windows loads but no longer.

Here's what I've tried so far:
    1. Deleting all devices under USB Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager and restarting.
    2. Shutting down, removing all peripherals, holding power button 30 seconds to drain power, and pulling and replacing 3 pin jumper on mother board to clear cmos.
    3. Pulling and replacing battery
    4. Running the Dell Driver Reset Tool
    5. Starting in safe mode
    6. System Restore to previous date
    7. Re-seating RAM
    8. Re-seating USB to mother board connections

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Double check your bios is set to allow USB keyboard and mouse,it may not have that setting as it doesn't have a PS2 port,to enter bios tap del. upon boot.

Go do device manager control panel,system,device manager and check the status of the keyboard and usb devices,if you have any yellow exclamation marks add them to your next post with the error codes.

Check what driver is installed for your keyboard in device manager I believe this is the problem and make sure it matches your keyboard make in either case find out the make and model of your keyboard then check their website for a driver,also add the make and model with your next post.

If you can't find a driver for your keyboard you may want to try updating the driver through microsoft so to do this again in device manager click your keyboard,click the driver tab,update driver,search for the driver then allow it to search microsoft for the correct driver'The computer needs to be connected to the internet.'.

I'm sorry if this isn't the exact phrasing but its been a while since I used XP.

Usually we don't recommend this as you can end up with the wrong driver but I think in this case its worth a punt.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds