Killing autoruns and memory hogs--Help, need software suggestion!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gektumi, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Gektumi

Gektumi Private First Class

Does anybody have some advice on software for determining when and how to disable startup items and background processes? I've used Autoruns to get a more in depth idea of what I am running, but it's not that clear (to me) about what processes to stop. I've been considering The Ultimate Troubleshooter from www. answersthatwork.com since I have used information from the website about items in the Task Manager.

Is there a better recommendation for this?

I've used X-Setup Pro to tweak some of the usual Windows XP stuff, but so much software wants to run all the time!

Thanks.

2. distorted.clarity

distorted.clarity Private E-2

google the app thats loading on startup
    so when you go to "start > run > msconfig > startup tab" and see the stuff like say aim.exe or gttask.exe just google that
    usualy liutilities.somethign will come up

only thing you NEED on startup is sound and video graphics.. everything else is just extra

3. Gektumi

Thanks. I've definitely been googling my stuff. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. Usually the responses from www.answersthatwork.com or www.castlecops.com are the most detailed and thought-out responses. I'm just having a reaction to every app wanting to be in the task tray--the mouse, the keyboard, the printer... Such a drag on the CPU. I just used Autoruns to disable some of them anyway. I just don't have the nerve to do more! :)

4. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Gektumi, if you are unsure or want confirmation then post the apps or files and someone will let you know.

6. Gektumi

Thanks, guys! Steeev, that looks like a great site--very useful. :)

Thanks, Insomniac. :) I didn't realize I had that option. I know the items aren't malware, but I've had funky reactions when deactivating from autoruns.

For instance, my Epson printer (which I only use for CD labeling and some photo work) has a resident thingy in the task tray. When I disabled it through X-Setup, I had to reinstall the software. Of course, it could have been a connection problem with the infared USB thingy, since I use it infrequently and I'm not sure of the cause and effect. Just a hassle not to know which is the cause. :)

Since my Canon printer doesn't have a resident app in the tray, I don't think the extra memory drag should be necessary from the Epson. (Although it could be impossible to remove funtionality from feature because of the software design.)

Do you know which forum I would post that request in? None of this stuff is malware, but it usually takes some experience with the particular software to figure out which portions can be deactivated in the autorun function. I want the system running faster, so I want to slim it down.

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Posting here is fine.

Either post all the programs listed, or a screenshot etc.

Then we can go through each one and tell you what's vital.

8. Gektumi

Thanks. I'll start a new thread so I get the title right. :)

9. weeelson

weeelson Private E-2

i find winpatrol to be quite helpful in this regard

10. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

11. Gektumi

Oh wow, thanks, guys! Don't know how I missed these additions. :confused: I've changed emails so that the MG thread info gets highlighted! :) This is greatstuff.

Just went to AbbySue's recommendation at sysinfo.org. :) Very much easier and clearer than Googling each item and hoping to find the key phrases in some forum threads! It also gives me a better sense of the whole picture on lots of stuff. :)

I just downloaded WinPatrol and am looking forward to giving it a run. Thanks It looks like great stuff that I missed, weeelson. :)

I've been going through the pages Insomniac mentioned and Steeev's recommendation on activehowto.com. Thank you again. Very useful. :)

Thank you, thank you. Everything is running much faster now. I'll be using this material more this coming week, so I'm a very happy camper. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds