Kind of a hardware/software problem combined...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rman56, Aug 13, 2007.

1. rman56

rman56 Private E-2

Okay, first off, forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong here. I'm never sure when a "New Topic" is appropriate and when it isn't. Here goes...

I am temporarily, for an extended period of time, using my old HP Pavilion 8665C which is over 7 years old. My PowerSpec with XP Home is being rebuilt by a friend after I carelessly damaged it. My old HP came with Windows 98SE, I upgraded it to Windows 2000 PRO and now have no sound. I see, by "googling", that this was not an unusual problem back when people were using 2000...okay, anyway...I did this once before, I found the right driver(s), somehow I correctly installed it(them), but I had to uninstall 2000 and reinstall 98SE and now that I've once again reinstalled 2000 I can't, for the life of me, get sound back.

Please...just tell me what info you need about this computer and I'll provide it...I'm sure this seems like a ridiculously easy problem to solve, and that's what you guys are here for...LOL...I'm just a guy who loves to play on computers, I don't use them for work, only for my own personal pleasure. I'm not what I'd call computer illiterate, I've been able to restore this once broken down old thing that was basically just a shell of it's original self to a rather fast and functional computer considering it has a Pentium III, 600 MHz, yep, MHz and 128 MB, yep, MB SDRAM...again, it's only temporary. The only info I can get about the SoundCard is from a site that lists this particular computers specs, and all it says is:

Audio / Video
    Audio Output Type___________________________________ Sound Card

Please, please, please...can anyone help me out here. It's not that I need to listen to music on the computer, it's that I can't do anything because it just doesn't recognize any audio whatsoever and I still burn a lot of CD's.

Thanks a ton!!!

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

http://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?modelname=MEW-AM&SLanguage=en-us
    Your motherboard is an Asus model MEW-AM. The above link is to all the drivers for your motherboard, including the sound. If the driver at that link doesn't work, just re-post and we'll find another link or something.... good luck!

hd2k

EDIT:I think the first driver listed under Audio is the one you want... Be sure to go to the Utilities section, and download and install the Windows 2000 chipset software BEFORE installing the sound driver!

EDIT Part 2: after doing some further research, I have found that your PC may actually have the "Riptide" or "Chameleon" drivers which are a modem and sound driver all in one kind of thing. Here's a link you'll find VERY useful if the above driver link doesn't work.... http://www.allensmith.net/HP/Riptide.htm You'll still need the chipset software from the above link for best results and overall system stability....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  3. rman56

rman56 Private E-2

Man, thank you a million times. I just checked my mailbox and got your response, haven't even tried yet, but I'm just really grateful because I've been trying for about 2 weeks or so and nobody anywhere else has even responded. Again...Thank You!

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

:D No sweat my friend. That's what we're here for. :D
    If you have more questions, or run into any other problems, be sure to let us know. I know from personal experience that those Riptide/Chameleon drivers can be a major PITA sometimes, so just post if you have any troubles.

:major -hd2k- :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds