kinda worried

Discussion in 'Software' started by magical2099, Mar 28, 2010.

1. magical2099

magical2099 Private First Class

okay, i got a friend bringing his laptop for a CMOS battery installation and a clean-up, so in prep i go round to my favorite sites and snag a bunch of my old faithful favorite tools. MBAM install, Combofix, SmitfraudFix, HJT, GMER, and a few others. I only get CF and SFF from bleepingcomputer, and for the very first time my AVG identity protector threw a warning on SFF. claimed Win32/Shutdown.NAA was a PUP.

i've dug around for awhile but i can't find any reference to Win32/Shutdown.NAA outside logs from various tools which may or may not have deleted it. SystemLookup has no idea and i can't find anything decisive on the thing.

so i submit my question thusly: what d'ya think? bleepingcomp is trustworthy, smitfraudfix is too, has the download been gimped? is AVG throwing a false positive? am I being a noob? :confused

thanks in advance Major Geeks,
    rock on
    Magical2099

2. leslie1984

leslie1984 Private E-2

From Personal Expierence a Website i have Been Using for WELL over 2 YEars fpr Watching Japanese Animé on Has Recently Started Showing This Attack Site Crap WHen i Know ITs Safe I Thinks IT Certain People Abuse The Report Site Functions on Anti Viruses and The case may be the same for you.. Not Gaurenteed but just an opnion

3. magical2099

close leslie, but no cigar. I know what ya mean though and yeah alotta folks do abuse those things. what i'm asking about isn't voted on by the public though, generally only malware fighters and system analysts. the file is part of a specialty malware removal tool geared towards rouge antiviruses. what worries me is that a trusted tool like this one is showing a PUP- potentially unwanted program status. doesn't mean its bad, per-say, just means its capable of doing bad things. normally with a tool this well known and made by a guy that does so much against malware they get ignored.

thanks for the reply! good luck with your site!

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Just an anecdote, not from any specific testing, but I've stopped using AVG due to false positives....

You can get a "second opinion" on the suspect files by running them through an online scanner, such as Kaspersky's File Scanner, and maybe it will give you some peace of mind.

5. magical2099

i've run an updated MBAM and HJT with no threats found, but i also haven't run the fresh DL of SFF either, so that doesn't guarantee anything. if it is a false positive, it'll be the first i've had out of AVG, but hey nobody's perfect.

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

7. magical2099

8. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

It could be the intrusive nature of the scanner. I'd go for it.. but that's me. If BC is half as diligent in hosting downloads as MG's, I'd run the installer LOL

9. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

magical2099

One of your teachers and GeekU moderators had this to say in a "How to use SmitFraudFix" thread:

@ sikvik - :highfive

10. magical2099

thanks Doc, sikvik. i've dealt with false positives before, but i guess this one just made me nervous. it was a double first: a warning on anything from bleeping and a warning from AVG on a program that it has never flagged before. i guess what i was looking for in this thread was someone else who had received the same and knew it for a FA.

on a completely unrelated note: did i break any kinda help-forum taboo by asking here? from what i've read, so long as i don't train or help with malware on another site i'm fine. if i'm wrong in that, the sooner i know the better :major

11. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I can't help you on the rest, although I know I have heard people talk of AVGs many fp's, but you did not break any rules posting here while training elsewhere. A lot of people are on a few different forums. There's nothing wrong with that. The only thing we do not want are people who are getting help in our malware forum doing the same in another because, as I'm sure you know, it's a waste of time for the forums, plus it could possibly screw something up.

12. magical2099

yes ma'am i've dealt with double dippers in the real world too, makes it even more annoying when its people ya know lol, i'm gonna make a thread over at geekU with a link to this one and ask one of the instructors to look at it and see if i've broken any of their rules. :cool

13. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Nope, you have not broken any rules on the Terms of use on Geeks to Go, even if you are in geekU. geekU only ask you not to have a running Malware removal thread - in G2G when you sign up for geekU.
    Cheers..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds