Kodak 5100 Printer Drivers For Debian/ubuntu??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Port-O-San, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

Am Looking For Debian/ubuntu Drivers For Kodak 5100 Printer.....
    Anybody Know Of A Source?
    Thanks And Blessings,
    Port-o-san

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

They do not exist.

Linky

Still not convinced? Link #2

The best Linux Support for printers is HP handsdown.

3. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

Had been to the forums, just wanted to verify with MG's because that's the seat of my learning experience on the subject.
    Am told there's zero plan for same in the works, too = sad = now I have either a $100 printer that is useless, or I have the best OS I have ever enjoyed the privilege of using that is useless........... a lose/lose situation as far as I can see.
    One thing for dead certain = I will never buy another HP product so long as I draw breath.

Will keep looking for a more acceptable answer.
    Thanks for your research and thought, B.O.O.M. - you've been a help many times and always a good read.
    Blessings,
    port-o-san

4. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

P.S. Wondering...... even though I hate like sin to use a crutch, could I run the Kodak software through something like WINE?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Instead of installing WINE, because not every windows program you want will work in WINE, dual-boot windows and linux.

A bit harsh, considering HP is very good about producing drivers for linux. I'm running my HP550 wirelessly on my eeepc with the default Xandros/Debian etch hybrid OS.

6. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

Have been dual booted since last year - it's a clunky way to have full interface with my computer, but I guess it's all there really is until Kodak gets their head out of the place it is believed it is at...... was written by Kodak today and given a very obviously vague report that a release date for Linux drivers for their products "has not been established as of yet".
    Like a dog shaking a good bone, I replied asking for clarification of the answer / matter, i.e. was the project in the works, just no date set for release, or was there not even an attempt being made? I was sure to include that they (Kodak) surely wouldn't want to ignore a market as large as the Linux community........
    We'll see what happens, but I, for one, ain't gonna hold my breath.
    Blessings all,
    port-o-san

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I followed the Brother config directions to the letter on Ubuntu Breezy and it would not work at all. I then bought an HP PSC1610 Worked out of the box first time......

Port-O-San you may be able to get the retailer to take the Kodak back since it does not work on your machine. Best of success.

8. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

After alot of talk with Kodak, I found that they do, indeed, have linux drivers - already in the bag, fully functional. They are refusing to release them due to "corporate concerns" and "legal matters". The retailer refuses to take the printer back since I have had it over a month - and I really don't want a different printer - i studied hard and long before I bought this one and I love it.
    At worst, I'll try to run XP in a virtual box over Ubuntu - I am NOT gonna give up on this great OS over a lousy dollarsquabble between the entities.
    Where there's a will, there's a way - and I have quite a will and alot of good folks who are smarter than I am behind me (thanks, MG's and Ubuntu forums!)
    Blessings,
    port-o-san

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Have you tried foomatic? Its available via apt-get or synaptic.

10. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

This is what I found so far..... unless I get some serious schooling or Kodak decides to release those drivers, I think I'm hosed for now, from what I read here and at the foomatic pages...... it sure looked positive though! Thanks, Adrynalyne, for a good try!

OpenPrinting database - Printer: Kodak EasyShare 5100 All In One Printer
    Home : Database : Printers : Kodak : EasyShare 5100 All In One Printer

Kodak EasyShare 5100 All In One Printer
    Color inkjet printer, this is a Paperweight

User-contributed Printer Entry
    This printer entry is not yet included in the Foomatic packages and the data on this page is not verified or proofread.
    NOTE: For user-contributed printer entries no PPD files can be generated or downloaded.
    This entry can be edited by everyone.

Edit this printer

Add a similar printer

Notes

Discussion forum

Look for help in our forum for printers from various manufacturers.
    Miscellaneous
    Printer does not support PJL.
    Refill: 9.99 black refills-12.99 color refills
    No known autodetection signatures.

11. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

Reason I'm so "harsh" in re: HP printers is because I have had five of them - they all malfunctioned beyond repair within a year of purchase and the print quality was not what I want in a printer anyway. I suppose I could have worded it differently or better, but my feelings on the matter were pretty clear.

I'm still hard after Kodak's people to release specs and the drivers they have already developed to us (the Linux community) - I think that, with a few more voiced raised in unison, they will relent.
    Blessings,
    port-o-san

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds