KotOR 2: Keyboard stops working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mimsy, May 9, 2010.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I'm running into an issue with Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords in Win7 Ultimate. I installed it and patched it. I did the wide-screen fix/hack from Widescreengamingforum.com and then installed Darth Stoney's patch that restores all the cut content from the game. Everything works great. Woot! Sith Lords in 1920x1200 is a beautiful thing to behold.

Until a fight starts. As soon as the combat sequence ends I find myself surrounded by the fading corpses of my enemies, and completely unable to move, or do anything at all. The completely ignores any keyboard input. I can create a save file by saving over an existing one, and then load that save, and the keyboard works again, but this is a very irritating thing to have happen. Anyone know of a fix, off the top of their head?

Yes, I did switch keyboard, from a PS2 to a USB one, but still same problem. This is becoming quite... annoying.

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Can't say I've heard of that one Mimsy and no point in me telling you the run of the mill stuff because you've likely done it. One thing I will say is it's the kind of glitch I've come across on occasion when using unofficial patches/mods etc, quite possible one of them is causing it, you know how to deal with that too lol, process of elimination unless that game has the luxury of enabling/disabling mods etc from a menu.

3. Mimsy

I know... I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. The reason I'm playing it is to experience the removed content that the patch is adding back in, so if I remove that, there's no point in replaying it... the extra content doesn't work without the official patch, so I have to have that one.

If I remove the wide-screen mods I can't play it since I have a wide-screen monitor and when it wasn't wide-screen the game got too confused about whether I was clicking in the game or on the desktop next to it to be playable, so I have to have that one as well.

I hate catch 22s! :banghead

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I wish I could offer you something else, but I think you know as well as I that is the most likely cause.
    Just a thought, is it at all playable with a game pad?
    Or you could go to the creators of the patch (if they have a Q&A or some such) and ask if there's a work around, there probably is but it may involve you editing files.

As for the widescreen thing, if you have an ATI card the scaling option in CCC may solve the confusion problem, fiddle with the settings, you may not get widescreen but it should put barriers up around the edges so you can't float off screen.

Edit: I did some searching :-D seems as though you are pretty much alone in this issue. I take it you've tried running it in compatability mode?... it's a long shot I know, but worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  5. Mimsy

I have an nVidia card, but they offer similar scaling options in their card control panel... made no difference. And the only way to make the thing run is to install and run everything, game, mods, and patches, in compatibility mode for XP SP 2.

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ah ok, well I did find this.. you've probably seen it but...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=199761

Not sure if it will help but the one guy suggests turning on Vsync and there's also a walkthrough for a lag fix, whether or not they will work I cannot say.

7. Mimsy

Thanks! I looked through their forums yesterday but never found that thread. :)

I have to get out of hear and head in to work now, but I'll definitely try the v-sync thing out tonight and let you know. :wave

8. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Private First Class

I had this problem on the original, vanilla kotor some good while ago on an xp system. I remember I changed something (vague, sorry!) in the in-game options to fix it, and it may well have been v-sync, tho I can't imagine why. I believe I remember switching between characters and/or minimizing/restoring got my guy moving again also, as well as quicksaving/loading (avoids fiddling with menu). Not terribly helpful but at least that indicates it's not a problem with mod compatibility.

I wasn't aware of the patch to restore cut content in #2, I'm going to have to dig that up and try it. You should keep a blog of neat gaming things you discover, Mimsy ;p Good luck getting things to run properly.

9. Mimsy

I do. :)

Once I get Sith Lords to work properly I'll probably add that to the blog. Have not had time to do any gaming tonight, on account of working late and being angry at the world... I am waiting for the Laker game to come and cheer me up. :)

10. Mimsy

UPDATE:
    Since creating this thread the problem has stopped happening. Of course. I have however seen in other forums that people who had the same problem were able to get rid of it by enabling v-sync, so if it comes back that's the first thing I will do. :)

11. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I loved this game, as well as this series. I could have played it for years, but the bugs and glitches were horrendous. I had to stop playing, and pout. :cry
    It was fast becoming my Fav. of all time. I treid Lucas arts patches, tips, tried avoiding certain problem areas/situations, in the end, it was to much to bear. Hope you have better luck than I did.

12. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Private First Class

Neat, bookmarked. Glad the bug worked itself out on its own, enjoy the 1920x1200!

13. pitviper

pitviper Private E-2

Only thing to try is the game WITHOUT the patches and see if it does the same thing.

Then test it with a single patch at a time until it happens again...then you know which patch NOT to install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds