KVM 2 port switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tonyrush, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I had a new toy given to me. The kvm 2 port switch by Linksys. I've learned how to connect and how to use it to switch between 2 cpu's using only 1 monitor, but what good will that do me? Does anyone know a reason that this could be of use? Thanks,
    Tony

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The simple explanation is that if you have 2 towers running different OSs you can switch between them without having to unplug the cables from one and plugging them into the other.
    In other words it allows you to run 2 PCs at the same time.

I run XP pro on one and Vista ultimate on the other.

3. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

Thanks, but why would that ever be necessesary? I'm just trying to think of a good reason for keeping it.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Unless you switch OSs on a regular basis it is not a lot of use.
    For me i switch 10 times or more per day so it comes in handy.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, if you don't have two computers to control then you can sell it. It's mainly used as Bill said and eliminates the need for a second monitor/kbd/mouse on your desk. Some folks have 4 way switches to control four CPU's from one set of inputs. Bill and I do folding and it is an excellent way to check ones progress or tweak things etc.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I've went way overboard, I have a 12 port KVM over IP. Why? I have several different PCs set up for various tasks & I work on a lot of PCs for people. So when I need it I have the KVM cable to drop a PC right on my bench and go to work, no need to run cables each time. Elminates all the plugging and unplugging. So if I need to google an answer or error on the PC I'm working on I just toggle over to another system and go.

7. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's always about money.

I have 4 computers using a 4-port KVM switch. These computers, like Bill and Auggie run distributed computing projects, but also serve as networked storage for backups and music. I save money by using only 1 keyboard, 1 mouse and 1 monitor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds