LAN card wont let me get 100mb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryuduo, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Ryuduo

Ryuduo Private First Class

Hey guys. I need some help. I recently bought a new LAN card for my old computer. Its a Dynex, DX-E101(10/100 mbs) LAN card. I have a LAN card on my other computer, and i changed it to 100 mb Full Duplex on that one and it works fine. I get full fast 100 mb. But on this old machine, whn i change it to 100mb(full or half duplex) it says "A Network Cable Unplugged". The DX-E101 LAN card is in the computer that i have at my other house. So i only have one computer there and its directly connected to the internet. Where the DX card is, my connection comes directly from the cable modem. I have a cat 5 cable that contects my LAN card and the modem. I am only able to get 10 mbs. Can you please help me on how i can get it up too 100mbs? LIke i said before whn i change it to 100, it says "Network Cable Unplugged".

I have a cognac+ mother board, here is the link to it-

http://www.e4allinc.info/dir1/motherboards/socket370/cognacplus.htm

Also i am running Windows Xp Pro, Service Pack 2
    And i have all the latest drivers for the DX-E101 Card.

(dunno if this will help, but i also have a 64 mb video card installed nvidia mx400, and i have a 350 watt power supply.)

Please Help

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

If you're saying you expect to see a 100Mbps connection between a cablemodem and any LAN card, I don't think it's possible-- it's always going to operate at the speed of the slowest device, and a cablemodem doesn't need its interface to be any higher than 10Mbps when it's only serving you with a probable max of a 3-5Mbps data transfer rate.

3. Ryuduo

Ryuduo Private First Class

Oh, no wonder. nice nice thanks for the anwser man.

So i would have to have more then 1 computer in my house and a router for me to get 100 mb?

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds