lan management system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jack Sanders, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Sanders

Jack Sanders Private E-2

hi. i have recently bought a new adsl wifi router ( Buffalo WMR-G54) http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=102&categoryid=7
    Both my partner and i share the connection and only use adsl between us. As i play alot of online gaming and my partner only uses small bandwidth (like msn etc.) i was wondering if there was a lan management program available so i can minimise my partners connection so it is substancial for her use so i can get a bigger bandwith for gamin which is necessary. All in all, i want to manage the bandwidth usage distributed by the router. is this possible? what programs are available for this (if any)? what alternatives are they? Also, looking at the specs on the link above, could you tell me if my router has a built in filter so one is not needed on the end of the telephone cable? thanks alot Jack

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You need a micro filter on the end of the telephone cable. Of course that is when using the phone cord. It has nothing to do with the router. The router does not need any sort of special filters.

As for the bandwidth management, there are ways of doing it. It's complicated, but in your case it's not something you want to do anyways. The way the router works is it provides bandwidth only when requested. Which means if she isn't actually using the bandwidth then she isn't taking any away from you. So if you tried to do what you're suggesting all you'd end up doing is limit how much she could use and provide no visible increase for yourself. The only way it would speed it up for you is if she was actually using a lot of bandwidth in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds