LAN Problem After Updating AVG??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dottsgarden, Oct 23, 2008.

1. dottsgarden

dottsgarden Private E-2

I have an Athlon AMD XP 3000+ Processor, running Windows XP. I have a D-Link Modem connecting to the internet by way of DSL through Cox Cable. Used to have a router, but not anymore.

Was having trouble with AVG (free version) not updating and couldn't seem to get the latest version and my firewall protection was off. Removed the 7.xx version I had, went online and downloaded the latest AVG version 8.xx. Rebooted and then turned on Windows Firewall. My LAN connection was not on and when I opened that box up, found there were 3 LAN connections, all disabled and not able to repair. Was on the phone with Cox, who ran me thru trying to ping my IP address with no success and was not able to help any further.

Should I use Restore or how do I fix this mess?

Since AVG is no longer going to be supporting their free version (and, doesn't support Firewall any more, I noticed) any suggestions on a different free anti-virus program?

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. dottsgarden

dottsgarden Private E-2

When I open my network connections, I show 3 local area connections; local area connection, local area connection 2 and local area connection 3.

Why do I have 3 connections? How do I get rid of 2 of them or should I?

Which device(?) should the local area connection be associated with?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds