Lan & Wifi Problems, Only On One Pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by kpjazzy, May 21, 2016.

1. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

i thought i was quite good with computers, but i can't figure out this problem. My LAN and Wifi connection only works sometimes. When browsing, most of the time the pages won't load and I have to refresh. Also, other applications don't connect either most of the time My connection is fine on all other devices in the home, it's just this one PC with the problem. I am using xp and I have scanned for viruses everything is clean. I tried changing my DNS settings to google's 8.8.8.8 but that didn't help. I can ping websites fine although sometimes it times out.

Can anyone help?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

What version(s) of Windows or other OSes are you using on your other devices? What browser(s) and versions are you using on all devices?

3. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

hi, I am using Windows XP SP3 on the desktop PC which is having problems. Other devices which work fine are a laptop with Windows 10, a Samsung Galaxy S2 and an Xbox One.

Just the desktop PC which has issues. I am using Google Chrome on the desktop PC Version 49.0.2623.112 m. Same version on the laptop. Chrome on the android Samsung (an out of date version 47.0.2526.83) and Microsoft Edge on the Xbox One (the latest version).

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Try flushing the DNS cache. Open a cmd window 'As Administrator' and enter ipconfig /flushdns

5. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

thanks Earthling, but that didn't help.

6. Earthling

There are so many other possibilities. The wireless adapter may be faulty, may need a better driver, or simply may not be getting a good signal from the router. Are you able to test it using an ethernet cable? If not, are you able to try moving either the router or the PC to a position that gives a better signal? And if the adapter is external can you try it in a different USB port? Have you tried using a different wireless channel? And are LAN connections also affected or is it just the internet?

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since google dropped support for XP in April, perhaps that is part of the problem. To rule that out, download and install a different browser to test this out.

If you can't get on in XP, download to another computer, put the file on a USB stick and move it to the XP computer.

Because the other computers/devices don't have a problem we can rule out a problem with the modem and the router. So it is the XP computer.

8. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

hi, i have tried using the ethernet cable and it doesn't work.

i tried running ubuntu on this pc and the connection on there is absolutely fine so it must be a software issue.

9. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

i tried firefox and got the same problem, when i ping google.com i get some time outs so i don't think it's a browser problem

10. Earthling

Can you explain? Ethernet is the most reliable way to connect - problems are almost invariably with wifi. Have you enabled the adapter? Does it show a problem in Device Manager?

11. Earthling

Ubuntu would use a different driver. Check the PC manufacturer's website or the adapter maker's website for a later wifi adapter driver.

12. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

The ethernet was giving me the same issues as the wifi, i could connect but it kept timing out when browsing or pinging. I believe I have fixed the problem now, thanks to advice from a friend - I had AVG Zen installed and I recently used the AVG removal tool to get rid of it, my connection has massively improved since then. All seems normal now.

13. Earthling

Thanks for letting us know :)

14. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

Hi, me again. The problem came back after a few hours. I have recently tried re-installing the ethernet network drivers, but it didn't help :/
    I am running out of ideas, I would rather not install another operating system, simply because I have so much stuff on my hard drive and I don't want to install everything again. Can anyone think what the problem might be?

Many thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds