Lap Top Hard Drive Fried?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BigSkyMT, May 26, 2009.

1. BigSkyMT

BigSkyMT Private E-2

My HP 9500 Laptop hard drive is not working:(. I was trying to run a scan for virus and malware and the screen went black. When I rebooted the computer, the HP logo for starting showed and then went black and rebooted. Kept rebooting without results. I tried to use a virus scan via usb drive and still could not get the drive to start. I could get to the system screen, which showed I had a hard drive. I changed boot up to external drives. Still no luck. :confused. What am I missing? I have a lot of data and files that I need. Oh yes, I have a complete set of HP recovery Disks and still no luck in running them.:cry

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What happens?

You can always move the hd out of the laptop, attach it by an IDE/SAT to USB connector and attach it to another computer. This would be to grab your files.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You are probably getting a BSOD crash (Blue Screen Of Death) but it's flashing by too quick to see. Right after the HP logo disappears, start pressing the F8 key. You should get a Windows Boot Options menu; select 'Disable automatic restart on system failure' and press Enter. When the system goes to restart upon erroring out, it should stop on the blue screen error so you can write down the error code (they look like STOP:0x0000007F) and any message and/or file name listed. Post the info here and we'll try to help....
    :-D

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. BigSkyMT

BigSkyMT Private E-2

Thanks for the info. I will try the F8 and select the disable automatic boot. I think that I did get into the bios and set up and selected defaults. But I will look for what you said to do.
    To pdlr: I am not even sure how to get into a lap top. It is out of warrenty so I guess what ever I do will be okay in that respect. Could you give me guidance if and when I need to take out the hd?:confused

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since there are 246 products when searching HP's site for "HP 9500", I'll need a bit more information to narrow down my search.
    The manual will show you how to remove the hd.

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

IF worst comes to worst, you can work from DOS using an XP recovery disc.

Log in if you have to, work from the Windows file tree if you know how, and copy the files to a slave hard drive using basic DOS commands.

This would be an intermediate user method to recover data.

And there would be more steps to transferring the files to a new HDD.

Stop me when you don't understand the Geek...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds