1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lap Top Problems!! Help Me ASAP. I'm In Big Trouble Now!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Dec 5, 2006.

1. superstar

superstar Command Sergeant Major

Okay here is my problem...

I got a call from a friend asking if I would help him install a program he bought since he didn't know much about computers. He dropped off his laptop with me and I put the program on it. The laptop was working fine and dandy. I called him and told him that it was ready for him to pick up. So he came and got it and talked to me later on msn messenger and told me thanks that it was running nice and he appreciated my efforts.

For the record he just bought this lap top and it seems to me as if it's either refrusbished or used. I can tell because I know a heep of a lot about pcs.

Anyways he e-mailed me today with a message that read: "My laptop crashed, and now it won't boot up. It keeps restarting on it's own, and it won't even go into Windows XP." He was on it when I gave it back to him and said it was fine so I dunno what's up. Maybe he went on the net without virus protection because he was talking to me on a messenger late at night and who knows where else he was roaming online. Great well now I have a feeling I should take the time out and fix it for him. What could this be and how can I diagnose his lap top when I get it?

I noticed 3 things that struck me odd when I took it in just to put the program on it. The first thing was that he had the windows vista theme on winxp pro service pack 2. I know from experience that you shouldn't use that because the windows vista theme could screw up your pc. The second thing I noticed is I didn't see any anti virus (although I am not sure since I was not looking for it), but usually it would be out in the open on the systray or desktop. He just got dial up on his lap top.

Well I need some pointers as to how and what to do if I do help fix this dum lap top. I would only be doing it because I put the program on his pc (that I have installed a million times on my computer and other peoples pcs). He bought the exact same program I've been installing for years. Well my guess is I would first check to see if I can safe boot. Problem is I dunno how to safe boot on a lap top. Second off I would check to see if there is an antivirus program on his pc. And if not than I would install one and scan his pc. Another thing I was thinking is worst come sceanario I would have to reinstall windows xp for him and he would lose everything. He has nothing on his pc anyways because he just bought it. But I dunno if I reinstall windows if it will screw his lap top up because I notice that lap tops have different things in the systray for internet and battery watch, etc.

What am I to do? How can I diagnose his pc? Especially if it isn't booting up?

(he has a Tosiba lap top... I will figure out the model when I call him)
  2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. superstar

Thanks for that information so far. Anyone else care to join in? Because I am not going to pay for this guys lap top. No way no how. The most I'd do is see if I can fix it. End of story. All of these ideas and tips you all give me will be useful when he brings it to me tonight.
  4. TimW

5. superstar

Okay well he just gave me his laptop. & told me that the program I installed for him that he bought was fine and that it was working fine. He said he knows that couldn't have been the problem either.

He began to tell me what he did after I gave him the laptop. He doesn't know much about pcs by the way. He said that he was on msn messenger and a friend gave him a url link to go on to get free music (what an idiot). Anyways he said he clicked on it and than his pc just crashed and shut off or whatever.

So now I'm stuck with the pc here with me and I booted it up. This is the screen I see when I boot it up:

Anytime I choose any single option all it does it pretend to load or seem like it's loading my option and than just reboot again.

His lap top info: Toshiba Satellite A40 System Unit Model No. PSA40C-09CXV

Any help? If I should refer to one of the links above you posted or if anyone has any ideas let me know. I have the only winxp disc he has because he got it used. I can reformat the pc and put windows xp back on it but i don't want to only in a worst case scenario. He said that if I have to do that it is fine. But I don't know if that will bring back his battery watch, wireless internet stuff in the systray and all that as this xp disc does not look to be the same version he had on the lap top.
  6. TimW

If you say you can put windows back on ..you are saying that you do have the xp disk the was used to do the original install? If so, try the repair install and then do a bitdefender scan as soon as you are back up and running.
    Bitdefender agree to the license and then select Scan. DO NOT CHANGE THE OPTIONS TO SHOW ALL FILES SCANNED. That will make your logs huge and we don't need to see clean files. Once Bitdefender completes the scan:

Click-on the Detected Problems tab. Then select Click here to export the scan report

When the window comes up to save the report, change the Save as type: box to Text (Tab Delimited) (*.txt) and then in the File name box enter change to bdscan then click save. This will save a file named bdscan.txt in whatever folder you are currently in when you save the file (take notice of where you are at so you can find it later). This bdcan.txt file will actually contain HTML code that we can easily view later while reviewing your log. All we have to do is rename the file to bdscan.html.

7. superstar

how do i start the win xp disc?

i have it but dunno how to get it to boot as i dunno how to get the laptop to boot off a cd at startup. im new to the lap top world i only know about pcs.

this looks like a normal win xp disc not a special one. i would think that a lap top would come with a special disc that has all the utilites and software needed to get the laptop to work online/battery watch/ etc.

hmmm so how do i get this to boot off the disc? if it keeps restarting to that screen i posted?
  8. TimW

Get into the bios (should be a momentary flash on the screen as you boot to tell you what to hit ...f2 ...maybe...
    Then set the boot up order to cd-rom as first...hard drive as second.
  9. superstar

I got into the bios. Thanks. The screen shows the time on one side, the password which is not registered, and the boot priority on the other side. But when I click the left right up and down arrows it only lets me go to the time and password. How do I get to the boot priorities?

It won't let me go on that side. This bios can't be password protected because it says password not registered. man what a lousy day. & worse for my friend because he said his car wouldn't start either! Thank you & Please Help. I hate doing things for people.
  10. TimW

Down arrow should scroll you thru each option ...should take you to the right side. The enter to open the options.
  11. superstar

That won't work I have no clue as to why. And it says to use the arrows to move where I want. But it won't work. Should I set the bios to default values?

Because look... When I turn on the pc it shows the toshiba screen, that is where I hold and press esc. Than it shows a black screen that says:

After pressing F1 I see this screen:

It wont let me go to the boot priority side. Man Im mad!!! Please Help my blood is boiling. It won't let me set vaules with the home button, I press page down and I see another area of the bios but the arrows wont highlight anything. Nothing works other than moving the arrows and they go on the clock and password areas that's it. Could there be some sort of block on this?
  12. TimW

No f11 option on start up? Which should take you to the toshiba recovery ....

No harm that I can see doing a default bios setting ....
  13. superstar

14. superstar

What next?
  15. TimW

You have done what the website tell to do to access the bios ...I really have no idea as to why you cant get to the boot order ....you might try emailing toshiba support with model no. and the issue.
  16. TimW

One last though, before I leave ...it might boot if you had the original Toshiba disk....
  17. superstar

i think the bios is corrupt

i am going to need to flash it. do you know how i can do this? I know a lot about normal pcs and i can take them apart. so i want to take this thing apart and do the same. the guy at tosihba on the phone told me i need to take the battery out and than reset the jumpers. how can i do this?

i know what battery and jumpers i just need to know how.

please help.
  18. TimW

Taking out the battery for a few hours will reset the cmos .....the jumper configuration ...not sure would need to see the manual ...is it on their website?
  19. superstar

I called them and they tried to help me. They said to hold the letter "c" down while the computer boots up and that should have started the cd to boot. That didn't work. They also said to try tapping the "F12" key while the system booted and that would have taken me right to the boot priority screen. And that didn't work.
  20. TimW

Man ...what ever he got when he clicked on that link (a serious no-no) ..it is obviously a major nasty ....or else there is a serious hardware crash ....keep us posted as to the toshba help.