Lap Top Problems!! Help Me ASAP. I'm In Big Trouble Now!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Dec 5, 2006.

1. abri

abri MajorGeek

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  2. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

You went on the american toshia site didn't you? This lap top is canadian made and if you got to the canadian site you will see this lap top has two bios. Both are the same version 1.50 but one is for floppy and one is without. The one without is more than likely a flash while your already up and in windows because it brings no read me file that says you can burn it. Just go to the toshiba canada site http://www.toshiba.ca\support and go to the "Downloads & Drivers" area. Remember this is a Toshiba Satellite A40 lap top. I remember seeing the same bios flasher your telling me about which is more than likely for the american version of the A40 and A45. I had burnt it to cd a couple days back but never used it because I wondered what would happen since this is the canadian version of the A40 not american.

Well what do you think?

3. superstar

Sorry by the way since I can only choose from the floppy version of the bios off of the canadian toshiba site I did some researching and found this:

http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do;jsessionid=2F50696105F92A7629579CDAD05C2360?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=260629xml&sliceId=&dialogID=10105813&stateId=0

Basically I can create the floppy when I download the bios, than I can create a bootable cd using the floppy as the image source in nero. Wow all this trouble for a dum lap top but I have to do it. I don't even know how to make a bootable cd using nero. But I guess I will have to search google and find out.

Now the next bad part is I don't even have a floppy hard drive on the computer which I am using right now which is my computer, and the lap top I am fixing doesn't have a floppy drive either. Wow what a week... I guess I will have to buy one. Do you guys know if there are any external floppys that connect by usb and do show up as drive "A" on the computer, and that are also bootable drives even though its on the usb? (ie: being able to insert a floppy into the external drive and boot off it - turning the power on a pc)

I'd like to know this so I can have a external floppy and so he can too. Seems like they come handy these days. Please don't forget to read the post above this. I tried to edit it but I couldn't because I was late.

4. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. I just downloaded the BIOS flasher file you mentioned (FDD not required), and created an .iso (cd rom image file) from it. I can e-mail you the .iso file so you can make your own bootable cd, make a bootable cd from it for you and snail mail it to you, or whatever you want. Making a bootable cd with Nero is simple. I have a Windows Me boot cd I made with it some time back. Here is a link to a page which should help you get started. http://wehow.ehow.com/how_2000533_make-bootable-cd-nero.html

5. sl00py99

6. superstar

Oh my heavens your a life saver!

That "no floppy required" download version of the bios is really meant to run when your in windows right? (ie: when your in the desktop, see my computer, etc)

How are you so sure it would work with the iso your sending me?

Can you download the one that needs to be a floppy and create an iso of that too?

Please have mercy I on me! I have no floppy drive around and no one to spare one as I live in a remote area. I have these two links that speak about the iso and how to create one:

Toshiba link on bios to cd:
    http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do;jsessionid=2F50696105F92A7629579CDAD05C2360?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=260629xml&sliceId=&dialogID=10105813&stateId=0

Nero iso image creation from floppy:
    http://www.bay-wolf.com/bootcd6.htm

Please send me the two iso's and I will thank you forever. I will private message you my e-mail address right now. Check your control panel. Please make an iso from the bios download meant for "without floppy", and an iso of the one meant for "with floppy".

Make sure when you download the floppy version of the iso you actually open the file and let the command prompt create the bios on the floppy "A" drive disc. Do not just extract the bios you download to a folder.

7. superstar

Well your not allowed to recieve private messages because you chose not to so here this is the message I was writing to you:

Please send both versions of the bios iso's to this address:

casanovaink@hotmail.com

This is the bios download page for the lap top I am fixing:

http://209.167.114.38/support/download/files_downloads/index/Satellite/sa40en.htm

There are two bios' available for download. First please download the bios version for use without a floppy. Which I believe is meant for use when you have your windows o/s up and running. (ie: when you are on the desktop, capable of going in my computer, capable of going on internet explorer, listening to music, etc). Please create an iso image of it and send it to me since you said you know how to make it work as a boot disc.

Secondly please download the floppy version of the bios and double click on it to open while you have a floppy disc in the "A" drive. The bios download file will open a command prompt that will create the bios on the floppy. After that you can make an iso of that floppy using these steps:

http://www.bay-wolf.com/bootcd6.htm

You can use this as a reference from toshiba while you do it:

Please e-mail me both iso's and in your message let me know if they are in a zip package, what each one is, etc. That way I will know how to identify them when I get them.

Thank you so much you have no idea what this means to me. By the way this is the first time I will ever flash a bios. I am so excited. Thank You!

8. sl00py99

:eek: Ok, Superstar. Check your e-mail, and you should have just received a new e-mail from crane_technician... That's me. There are the two .iso's I created for you. I am guessing, but I would say the FDD not required version means it is meant to be run from a bootable cd, while the FDD required version should be meant to be run from a floppy disk. Let us know how you make out, and we will try to help you through this.

9. superstar

Thank you for the iso's. Before I run them you did make them according to my last post request right? (ie: the message above that I was going to e-mail you but I couldn't because you except no private e-mails)^^^^^^^^^^

Once you answer yes, and state that you did them accordingly and claim that they were done to the best of your ablility... I'll be off to my first bios flash! Which may possibly end up being the end of this mans lap top...

Oh and by the way all I have to do is burn them as an iso disc using nero right? If so I know how to do that on my own. I just load up the iso in nero express and burn! ( I run nero version 6.6.0.0.15)

Thank You. You saved my *^*$%## ^*$%^#^# from the depths of hell.

By the way which one do you recommend I run first?

Since the bios is corrupt/infected I am taking out the hard drive, putting in the disc and booting up. Because I tired using Ubuntu live and Suse live on the lap top yesterday and they worked so I know for a fact the boot priority will go to the disc on it's own.

I'm thinking the one meant for floppy first?

10. sl00py99

:eek: Ok. You need to create a bootable cd using A40.2.iso and Nero or whatever and try that, first. I am still working on making you a floppy image. Give me a few minutes, and I will e-mail you again.

11. sl00py99

:eek: Sorry, use A40.iso to make the cd. Will e-mail you in a bit.

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

I know this is off topic from flashing the bios. But, if you make a mistake in flashing the bios, one could harm, then help.

I read you took the laptop apart, not sure how far ye got, before putting it back together.

My first thoughts are the following. Does the laptop have a ps2 keyboard connector on it (some laptops have this). Does the laptop have usb connectors on it? Yes, you could try a usb keyboard.

Yes, there are usb external floppy drives. About $25 (us).

In the end, hope the above post helps!

13. superstar

SLOOPY99 IM NOW CONFUSED...

Why did you send me two isos in the first message????? Now I don't know which one is which since you said your mailing me another. That makes 3 isos????

This is the message you sent to my e-mail address:

So now what is what because your saying that your sending more.

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

Sometimes, email routes can take a wee bit of time.

15. sl00py99

:eek: Ok, sorry for the confusion. Discard A40.2.iso. Use only A40.iso to make a bootable cd. I just e-mailed you the files to make a floppy disk in 3 different forms. ToshBIOS.ima and ToshBIOS.imz are floppy disk images. ToshBIOS.zip is a compressed folder which contains the files straight off of the original flasher floppy I made from Toshiba Canada's FDD required flasher floppy. Good night and good luck.

16. sl00py99

:eek: Superstar, I had to clear the cobwebs from my head. I haven't dealt with floppy images in some time. For clarification, a .iso file is a cd-rom image file. However, .ima and .imz files are floppy image files. WinImage can be used to recreate the original floppy you want using those files. A .zip file is actually a compressed folder which will render the original files it contains when it is decompressed using WinZip, TugZip, ExtractNow or other such utility.

17. superstar

Okay so what is "A40.iso"?

Is this the floppy version of the bios off the site, or the non floppy version? Because I'm going for the iso remember I don't have a floppy drive and neither does his lap top. Because I want an iso of the "floppy required" version. & yes I did get your emails.

In the first email you sent me you said that "A40.2.iso is the floppy-required version". That is what I need. Is this a mistake or is it the one I'm asking for>?

18. sl00py99

:eek: The "FDD not required" version of the BIOS flasher utility is used to make a bootable cd so that you can flash the BIOS on a laptop such as the one you are trying to fix, one which has no floppy drive. That is why they call it that. The "FDD required" version is intended to be used on laptops which have built-in floppy drives. According to Toshiba, flashing the BIOS from a floppy disk is the preferred way to do it. But, in your situation, you must use the bootable cd which you have to create yourself.

19. sl00py99

:eek: You can make the cd you need from A40.iso. It is the floppy not required version. Discard (delete) A40.2.iso. It was my mistake.

20. superstar

Okay here goes nothing. I am going to burn it and do it. What if I am prompted to press something when I flash?

& why does the floppy not required version come with a read me that would tell people to burn it as a bootble disc? What nutjobs they are.

Oh by the way are you willing to stand by when I flash in case it asks me to press something? I will tell post the second I flash it. So you wouldnt have to wait long.

21. sl00py99

:eek: I will be standing by. Again, having flashed the BIOS on my own Toshiba laptop, when you start the flashing utility, it should read your existing BIOS file to see if the new file is compatible with it. Then, it should tell you what it sees, and ask if you want to proceed or abort.

22. superstar

I'm restarting my pc, burning "A40.iso" with nero as an image on cd. Than I will post as soon as I do this. I am flashing with the lap top battery in the lap top and the ac plug plugged in as well. I will come back in 5 minutes to tell you I'm flashing and if I'm prompted with anything. Oh and I'm also flashing with the hard drive out since I cant get into boot priority.

Bye Be back in 5

23. sl00py99

:eek: The floppy not required version tells you to burn it as a bootable cd because it contains files that run from Windows. The floppy required version contains a self-extracting program which recreates files on a floppy disk which run from DOS.

24. sl00py99

:eek: Hi, Tim. Didn't mean to bump you out of the way while trying to help Superstar. You gave him a lot of good advice, and I have learned some things from what you told him.

25. superstar

Flashing Now! HOLD YOUR BREATH! PLEASE STANDBY SL00PY99

26. sl00py99

:eek: Standing by....

27. superstar

It loads the toshiba boot screen which always loads than says "Intel (R) Boot Agent FE v4.1.10

Copyright (C) 1997-2003, Intel Corporation

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
    Insert System disk in drive.
    Press any key when ready...."

It's always said this kind of thing when I turn the system on with no disc. But the discs in there, and I don't have the hard drive in either. It should be booting from disc. When I put an xp disc in there before with the hard drive out xp loaded. Maybe I should try the floppy required Iso you sent me. I told you I think this version is for use when your actually in and on using windows. Should I try the other iso you sent me which was the floppy disc version? Because it's not reading this. I can guarantee you if I put the windows xp disc in or suse linux live or ubuntu live it would work and load because ive tried it before with the hard drive out.

28. sl00py99

:eek: According to the User's Manual for the laptop, if a floppy drive is furnished with that model, it is a USB floppy drive. I know you don't want to, but you might order one online. They are about USD 20-30. I would send you a bootable Windows xp cd, but there would be legal problems with that. You can use a file-sharing program to download a copy, though.

29. superstar

I'm trying the other iso you sent me.

30. sl00py99

:eek: I am going to do some more reading in the User's Manual and see what I can come up with.

31. superstar

well im trying the other iso if that doesnt work im trying the iso image availble for download from www.toshiba.com (the american one not candian even tho this is a candian lap top). they have a bios for the A45 (the one i have here is A40). but im going to try the bios for the a45 because it says its good for four a40 models. and i know its an american bios but what else can i do if all goes array?

32. sl00py99

:eek: According to the User's Manual, holding down F12 while booting will allow you to select the boot priority. You will see the various devices from which you can boot, each with a bar underneath its icon. Use the left and right arrow keys to select the device you want to boot from. I tried it on my Satellite, and it worked just as they said.

33. superstar

Yes but it doesn't work on this. I've tried that and no shortcuts work on this. Not even the "c" key when you try that at startup. According to toshiba that makes it boot off disc first too.

34. sl00py99

:eek: Have you tried connecting an external usb keyboard to this laptop and seeing how it responds? I am beginning to think that laptop has experienced a hardware failure of some kind. You are having way too much trouble getting this thing going again.

35. superstar

I just used the other iso you sent me and that didn't run either. I downloaded this from the toshiba america site even though this isn't an american laptop:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?moid=555699&ct=DL&BV_SessionID=@@@@0872373714.1165544326@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddjiigmfffcgfkceghdgngdgnj.0

That's the bios for the american a40's and a45's. I burnt the downloadable iso from toshiba there and it worked in the lap top! The utility came up when I turned the pc on and flashed the bios. It said it flashed it successfully and told me to press restart. But when I did I forgot to take out the disc so it flashed the bios again! lol. It did the flash successfully again and this time when it told me to restart i took out the disk, and than I restarted the pc and the pc is the same. the bios is the same and it still has the same problem you can't move anywhere.

But see that tells me that maybe you burnt the isos wrong... Because their iso worked.

36. sl00py99

:eek: Ok, well, if it flashed ok, then I guess it is time to reconnect the hard drive, insert a bootable Windows xp install cd and try to get going. A file sharing program will help you locate a copy of such a cd.

37. sl00py99

:eek: I know this has all been a pain in the ***, but you have learned to burn a bootable cd, and successfully flashed the BIOS. You are getting somewhere.

38. superstar

I know thank you... I am going to try attaching the drive and see what happens now. But like I said the bios is the same and you can't move in it. The keyboard only lets you move to the time or pass, and there is no pass. All the arrow keys work though. & I do not have a compatible keyboard for the lap top on hand to plug in.

39. sl00py99

:eek: Time to crash. I will get back with you when I can. Best of luck till then.

40. superstar

I ran memtest86 when I loaded Ubuntu Live because its bundled with it. I did a memtest scan on the memory it says oneof them is bad. I am going to take one out than the other and see what happens. Maybe he had a power surge. He said the pc turned off on its own when this happened and he had it plugged to the wall without a power surge bar. All he used was the ac plug...

Thank You.

41. sl00py99

:eek: Sounds like you might be getting somewhere, now. I doubt the laptop would pass a post test with bad memory. Now would be a good time to bump up the memory capacity if it is not already maxed out.

42. superstar

What do you mean by that? Are you saying I should tell him to buy more memory?

By the way he bought a floppy drive yesterday and went far to get it. I have it in my possession, but I wonder what would have happened if he bought a usb external one instead. Maybe I could have flashed the bios that way. I dunno... I'm almost starting to give up.

43. sl00py99

:eek: Hi. I have a usb floppy drive, and my laptop will boot from it. I am sorry the .iso I made you for creating a bootable cd didn't work. 4A40150.exe, from Toshiba's site, can be extracted, and the bootable cd burned directly from the files you get when you extract it. My only reason for trying to create a .iso file for you was for convenience (i.e., so you could burn your cd from one file instead of a dozen or so).

44. superstar

When the hard drive is in the computer and you boot you can press F8 during the Toshiba boot screen. I think I may have forgot to tell you this before but it leads to a wide variety of booting choices that are far more complex than the other one we kept getting while rebooting. There is a choice that says:

"on system failure do not reboot"

I chose that and took a picture of it. I will post that picture asap because it shows the actual error screen that never showed before. Remember one of the problems with this lap top was it kep restarting whenever you chose a boot startup method. I will post the picture asap. Sorry I'm off to bed as I'm really tired.

Thanks for helping me and trying with the bios etc. I actually made a bios disc work. I'll let you know about it tommorow.

45. sl00py99

:eek: Hi. I hope I have been some help to you. I am no computer genius, but I do like to help people. In regard to the memory question, I think there are a pair of memory modules in that laptop. What I meant was, if one module was bad, and you could replace both of the modules with ones of greater capacity, and the owner could afford it, now would be as good a time as any to do it. That was all I was suggesting. Then again, he may either be pressed for money, or be perfectly happy with the memory capacity it has.

46. animex

animex Private E-2

I'm having a similar problem with the OP

I flashed the BIOS with FDD version from this website
    http://209.167.114.38/support/download/files_downloads/index/Satellite/sa40en.htm

Now, whenever I have an HDD connected, the light flashes orange and I get black screen. it doesn't matter what HDD, I tried 3 different ones. I can't even login to BIOS setting anymore. New password was setup apparently, during the BIOS update. I found this by unplugging the HDD

Did the OP solve the problem using one of the Iso file another user made? Can you email me that Iso file, I would like to try to reflash the BIOS again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds