Laptop AC adaptor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LauraR, Aug 20, 2007.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

My Dell AC adaptor just crapped out and I've noticed on the Dell website that a lot of people have problems with them. At $65 they aren't cheap!

Does anyone know if you can use any laptop AC adaptor with any brand?

For example, I found this on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842207001

My Dell one now is a 90W (on the thing it says 19.5V)

Since the one I found is UP to 90W and has a DC output of 15-24V...does that mean I'd be ok?

Thanks

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I work at a PC store that sells Cables Unlimited products, and I can tell you first hand that the AC adapter you linked to above will work just fine. I've sold MANY of those exact models. They tend to get a bit hot though, and recently, some of the power cords have been faulty (the cord that plugs into the wall and plugs into the actual transformer). The unit uses a standard power cord like you'd use on a PC tower or CRT monitor, so they're cheap and easy to replace....

hd2k

3. LauraR

Thanks for the info! The Dell ones run pretty hot too.

So I could go with any 90W adaptor?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

As long as the voltage and amperage output matches your laptop's requirements, and as long as the plug fits, you'll be fine. 90w is definitely better than 50w or 70w.... the lower wattage adapters are cheaper, but you get what you pay for, and the 90w ones are just better: they last longer, they don't run quite as hot.... I've seen a 70w adapter MELT 'cuz it was working too hard!

hd2k

5. LauraR

I ordered the one Targus makes for Dell laptops and has the right tip. It says "90W of continuous power and up to 130W of peak power" and "Automatically adjusts input voltage for worldwide use". lol...hopefully it'll work or I'm going to scream. Or cry. Or maybe scream and then cry since I'm now sharing the desktop with the kids.:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds