laptop access point

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dadsnobest, Jul 7, 2011.

1. dadsnobest

dadsnobest Private E-2

I have a PC with 1 USB wireless adapter and 1 internal wireless adapter. I am trying to use the internal as a AP. The USB adapter is my internet connection. I have setup a ad hoc but my android phone does not suport that type of network. I understand that 'Connectify' will do what i need but it doesn't work with XP. I have a Linksys WAP54G and my phone works fine with it, but why use that when I have the extra adapter in my PC.
    Is there a way to do this or do I just use the Linksys?
    Thanks, jme

Windows XP SP3

2. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hey dadsnobest,

there's no need for the usb adapter. use the linksys for network/internet connectivity for all pc's and mobile phones.

3. dadsnobest

dadsnobest Private E-2

The USB adapter is my internet connection, can't connect with the internal, too far away. The linksys works fine but I have to drag a wire around when moving around with the laptop. How can I make the Dell internal adapter broadcast as an Access Point?

Thanks

Dell Latitude D610
    XP SP3
    Dell 1450 Dual Band Mini PC Card

Alfa AWUS036H USB Adapter

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I know the theory to do it is to bridge them. I was not successful doing it without instructions on my own laptop. I wanted to point out the direction you are looking for since no one else has stepped in to guide you.

5. dadsnobest

dadsnobest Private E-2

Thanks for the offer of help, I could use some. It seems like this would be simple and maybe it is.
    I've shared, bridged, and everything else I could think of with no success.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thank You

6. dadsnobest

dadsnobest Private E-2

I give up!! My last attempt "IGATEWAY" was another bomb.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds