Laptop Battery Advice - Name Brand vs Generic Replacement?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by risingTide, Jan 4, 2015.

1. risingTide

risingTide Private E-2

Howdy,

I'm in need of a new battery for my ASUS G75VW laptop. The official ASUS ones are at least twice as much money as generic replacement ones that aren't namebrand ASUS. Does anyone have any recommendations on whether or not it is worth shelling out the extra cash for a real ASUS battery? Does it matter? I don't want to mess up my laptop with a bad battery.

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Personally I tend to go with the original branded ones from the manufacturer but I can see that un-branded ones are cheaper but at times they hold less of a charge and run out of the ability to hold a charge longer over time.

What I would suggest is if you are looking at a generic one make sure its similar in its capacity to a branded ASUS one in 5200mAh 8Cell

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

i haven't really had much of a success with generic batteries on laptops, they hold 1.5 less of an overall charge and seem to deteriorate quickly.

What i usually do when i need a new replacement battery is i buy a semi used one that still holds good charges. These usually (even though semi used) still last me a good bit, are cheaper than new ones from manufacturers and better ( in my cases) than generic ones

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds