Laptop boots to black, help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by overjoyed, May 3, 2005.

1. overjoyed

overjoyed Private E-2

I have a inspiron 8500, when I boot it up I see the Windows XP boot screen, then it goes black. It works with an external monitor, but the LCD is not on. I have uninstaled my display driver, Radeon Mobility 9000. When the display driver is uninstalled, the laptop screen works, I reinstalled the display driver and it goes black again, only working with an external monitor. How do I switch the laptop from laptop screen to external monitor and the other way around, anyone know how I can fix this? any help is appreciated!

2. overjoyed

overjoyed Private E-2

anyone please?

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Does this happen in safe mode also?

4. overjoyed

overjoyed Private E-2

no, in safe mode it boots fine, how do I fix it so when I boot normaly the screen works?

5. overjoyed

overjoyed Private E-2

anyone can help?

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

7. overjoyed

overjoyed Private E-2

this didnt work

I formated the lapop and reinstalled windows XP, when I install the video driver I get the same problem,

so it's bviously a driver issue, any suggestions?

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The computer display or video controller may be defective.

Are you sure your video controller is the Radeon Mobility 9000? Just asking.

Have you disconnected the external monitor? What happens when you do?

Tried changing the brightness and contrast of the LCD display?

Fn-F8?

9. overjoyed

overjoyed Private E-2

The computer display or video controller may be defective.

Are you sure your video controller is the Radeon Mobility 9000?

yes it is.

Have you disconnected the external monitor? What happens when you do?

when I discounnect the external monitor there is no view, the LCD doesn't work, but the computer sounds are working so I know that is working.

Tried changing the brightness and contrast of the LCD display?

I have tried this, nothings working!

Fn-F8?[/QUOTE]

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

ok, that brings us back to the computer display or video controller may be defective.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

12. overjoyed

overjoyed Private E-2

I updated the chipset, didn't help.
    I uninstalled the video driver and installed an older version, didn't help.

I can't for the life of me figure out whats wrong...

I know the LCD on the laptop is good because the boot up shows up on that screen, the windows XP splash sreen, then it goes black.

But an external monitor works fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am considering hunting down a copy of win2000 and installing it.

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm probably asking a repeated question, but I'm going to ask anyway. When you did the initial install of XP, does it ever get to the desktop? If not, is this under warranty?

14. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

I have an Inspiron 600m. When I first got the computer from Dell I checked for updated drivers and what they had listed did not match what I knew I had in my computer. Double check the service code that you are entering at the Dell site. If you are double sure you have the correct hardware that you say and the drivers are current boot in safe mode. When in safe mode try and change the setting to standard display. Reboot the machine and then change or reinstall the Radeon driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds