Laptop BSOD, no Safe Mode, and restarting

Discussion in 'Software' started by rowhite405, Jan 14, 2010.

1. rowhite405

rowhite405 Private E-2

I am having an issue on my laptop. It either keeps restarting or going to a BSOD with the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing the video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remover or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x830B7E7A, 0xF8A087B0, 0xF8A084AC)

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dx2000. Processor: Intel T1350/1860 MHz Mem: 512 MB Vid Mem: 128 MB.

I noticed that lately video had been running slow on my laptop and there was a message that I didn't have enough "virtual memory".

Can this situation be resolved by increasing the RAM? I am running AVG on this laptop and have noticed that some people are having issues with it. Could that be the culprit?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please be easy on me I am not that technically inclined when it comes to the computer. :-o

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, rowhite405...

Couple of quick suggestions: boot into Safe Mode, see if your symptoms change...

Roll back to the last known good configuration, see if a newly installed program or driver is causing the problem...

Run a chkdisk /r from a safe mode command prompt...

You might consider heading over to the Malware forum and running the Read and Run Me First - I've seen several of these "Stop: 0x0000007E" messages lately, all caused by some pretty intense worms...

3. rowhite405

rowhite405 Private E-2

Thanks Caliban,

However, I can't even boot in safe mode. Whenever I select that option I get the BSOD the computer restarts and brings me back to the screen where the Boot menus are. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds