laptop cannot connect wirelessly or otherwise...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doc13%, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

Background information:

I have 3 machines here, 2 desktops running XP Pro and a Vista laptop. I want the 2 desktops to remain hardwired and would like the laptop to connect wirelessly.

I have tried the connect to --> and the laptop picks up the Belkin (N wireless modem router which I HAVEN'T run the software for because I was told there was no need) it say's i'm already connected....but i can't gain access to the internet.

I have tried going Network and sharing center > connect to a network > show all > refresh > I see the wireless network .. but it says it is already connected.

I had kind hearted people trying to help me to and we also tried right clicking the wireless properties and manually entered in IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. Still no access to the net from laptop...

We hardwired the laptop and it wouldn't connect either.

This networking stuff confuses the hell out of me, I am new to it, and I feel an utter fool right now :-D it is probably something simple and stupid..which just about sums me up lol

If anyone can help me I would be most grateful, will give more details if need be and answer any questions.

Thanks
    Emms

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

3. Doc13%

Thankyou lbmest

<-- yep it's on

on the laptop:

I went into device manager and there are no yellow exclamation marks next to the network adaptors..

Went into control panel and looked at network connections

network connectons.jpg

I haven't altered anything to do with the WZC

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Just a thought Doc if you run the software with the laptop hard wired to the router it should give you access to a wireless connection after you have that you can hard wire the other 2 PCs which is correct they do not need the software for hard wiring but the laptop does need it. [​IMG]

5. Doc13%

Ahhhhhhhh....I did wonder about running the software on the laptop but I swear theres so much conflicting information, so I didn't do it... and the confusion factor is so high right now..tearing my hair out...I will give this a go and hope for the best! Thanks Bill:)

EDIT: Before doing this..a friend has told me to recycle both the talk talk modem and the belkin so I shall do that first..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The reason i said it is that i have a laptop and another desktop running in the same way and i had to install the laptop with the software and it runs OK now.

Hope it works for you. [​IMG]

7. Doc13%

Thanks for that cigarette..I needed that ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds