Laptop constantly reboots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gkorjax, May 7, 2009.

1. gkorjax

gkorjax Private E-2

Hi,

My buddy just called me and told me his laptop isnt working. The problem he describes are as follows. His computer is an HP pavillion DV6000

When he starts up the computer it doesnt reach any boot screens or anything...the screen remains black. He can't seem to enter the bios or anything. Then after 10-20 seconds the computer restarts. It keeps on endlessly cycling like this.

I suspect some sort of hardware problem. Could someone please give me some pointers as to possible culprits...with easy to check things first?

Thanks

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Heat, malware, virus, trojan, etc.

Did he add/remove hardware/software recently?

Has this just happened, or was he living with it, then decided to try using your expertise?

3. gkorjax

gkorjax Private E-2

I dont think he did anything to it recently.
    His girlfriend was working on something for a class last night.
    This morning she tries to continue to do her work...and the constant cycling is occurring.

So, as far as I know, this is the first time the problem has occurred.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

ooops, just realized this is a laptop so my suggestions aren't helpful for your situation.

Remove the battery, connect it with the power adapter only. I've read that some laptops with a dead battery have problems.

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds