Laptop Display Issue (Software)

Discussion in 'Software' started by F#$*CoolWebSearch, Mar 5, 2006.

1. F#$*CoolWebSearch

F#$*CoolWebSearch Private E-2

I have a Compaq 2188CL with XP SP#2. When it is on Battery power the display dims. I don't want it to do that. I have checked the monitor settings and power options, but see nothing to change this. Does anyone have a fix. Thanks - JG

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

This may be a prob with the battery. You could download EVEREST (free from this site) and assess the power mang options which will give you some insight into the potential qual and life of batt.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Check the BIOS. Most laptops dim when on battery to save life.

4. F#$*CoolWebSearch

How do I check the BIOS ?

thx - JG

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, if you unsure on how to get into the BIOS, check your manual. Also, before loading the OS, you will get a screen of sorts, while its going through the POST routine. Often, it will tell you which key to enter setup, as well.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Ofetn it is by pressing the "Delete" key during the start up process (as early as possible) you may even wnat to tap it a couple of times.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or F10, F1. Typically it will display the info on a hard boot (shutdown/power on). If no display appears, sometimes hitting the TAB key may give more clues.

Note #102: When one says HIT with a keyboard, one does not mean with ones fist, but primarily using ones finger or thumb.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Indeed, indeed just the subtle caress with ones singular digit should be more than efficient.

9. F#$*CoolWebSearch

There doesn't seem to be any options for changing display properties in the BIOS. Am I a missing something. Thanks - JG

10. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

This is normal for a laptop to conserve the battery. The display option in a ThinkPad is only refered to as the "LCD" and the selections are "normal" and "high". Your Compaq should have a setting for it in your BIOS though it may be called something different.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds