Laptop Folder for the weekend.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fred_G, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

OK, winXP did not work (driver issues.) I have Ubuntu 5.1 installed now. I need to get Folding running on this machine. I downloaded the Linux version, and my usuall GUI tricks did not work. And I need the machine maxed out, I use SpeedStep on my Dell laptop, need it maxed out and cannot find the power settings.

Anyone willing to walk a noob through a little Linux stuff?

E

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Goldy is the resident Linux Folding champ.

This reminds me I need to re-enable Folding on my box.....

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks for the link. I think I will stick to the Fedora core5 or 7? Not sure what version. I can download the client software, right click on it, give it all permissions, and get it started with the mouse. I need to learn how to use the CLI, just lazy. Linux confuses the heck out of me.

I like to just click with the mouse and make it work! I respect the penguin, just do not understand him.

E

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Ok BoredOutOfMyMind, I tried the link. No luck. I am stuck at this point Replacing "fah_install-version" with the current version.

I get the following: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I am assuming I am not using the correct version name/number. I cannot find the correct one.

The command I entered at the terminal was: tar zxvf fah_install-2006042.tar.gz

Any ideas for a Linux idiot?

E

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Finally got it installed! :D I tried 3 different ways. The one listed above did not work for me. I tried one using chmod and some stuff. Did not work. Somehow, I got it installed with my dang mouse. Take that you dang penguin...

I got a p3041_supervillin, so that computer will be busy for a while.

Thanks for the replies.

E

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds