laptop got wet - recovering data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tadpole, Dec 19, 2013.

1. tadpole

tadpole Private First Class

Hi I have a HP Pavillion laptop that got wet from a roof leak during a storm. For 2 days it was dead. Now I can power it up, but the screen is blank. I bought a Dell Inspiron 5521. If the HP hard drive is not damaged, is it possible to connect it to the Dell just so I can get my data off? They both have SATA drives?

The HP has Vista home premium and the Dell has windows 7 home installed.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you get a SATA external enclosure or a cloning kit or docking station, you should be able to put the HP drive in any of those devices and connect the device to your Dell via USB cable and get the data off of the HP drive — IF as we hope, the drive isn't damaged.

3. tadpole

Thanks, but I live in a remote bush area and cannot get one at the moment. I wanted to know if it was possible to remove the hard drive from the HP, remove the hard drive from the dell, and then connect the HP hard drive, just to the dell hard drive connectors, then get my data off on a USB stick drive?

I would go ahead and try it, I am just afraid it may damage the dell?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you remove the hd from the Dell, it will not boot up.
    You need the Dell to boot up with it's own hd because a hd from different hardware can't be used as a boot device in your Dell.

You have to wait and get something to attach the laptop hard drive to the Dell without removing the Dell hard drive.

5. JonnyBB878

JonnyBB878 Private E-2

Hello,

You might be able to attach the HP drive in the Dell and then recover the files using Puppy Linux (It's a tiny portable Linux operating system).

Please do note: This Operating System loads entirely in RAM, It will not touch anything on your hard drives.

Small guide:

Download: http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/slacko-5.6-PAE.iso (it's a 165MB Download) to a bootable computer, you're gonna need this to prepare your bootable USB / Blank CD.

Download: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

If you intend on "burning" the ISO to your usb know that it will take only 165mb Space and you can do this with the Universal USB Installer, using this program is easy just follow the steps :)

Once you have Puppy Linux on USB or CD insert it in your Dell (you're gonna use this disk to boot) -> plug your HP hard disk in your Dell and boot your PC using the Puppy Linux.

Once Puppy Linux has booted to it's Desktop, from there you can browse the HP drive and copy them to your USB.

I often use Puppy Linux for situations such as this, let me know if you get stuck somewhere :)

6. tadpole

Many thanks for all your replies. I am going to have a go at using the puppy Linux.

In case it does not work, when I phone the computer shop do I just ask for a "SATA external enclosure" ? I can't get into the Capital city, so will have to order it unseen to be sent out by courier. The sales staff do not know too much about the products they sell.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Go to Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com and download a picture with the specifications of it, and fax or email that info to the store, so they know what you need in regards to the unit to be sent to you.

8. tadpole

Great, thanks, will do!

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Really, this is all you need http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...m=usb-dsc5&utm_campaign=Hard Drive Enclosures

Here is a list of countries that Crucial.com ships to http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/shipping.aspx

Here is information on amazon.com shipping to Africa and the rates http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596186

What about when you go into town the next time, take the laptop and drive with you to the computer shop, and do it there, or find a local cafe that does this work, and buy them lunch or dinner, for doing the transfer.

Keep in mind, when you do connect the drive to your computer, you have to take "Ownership" of the drive, unless you use the Pupplylinux, or other Linux Live CD distro option.

Most of us have this stuff in our parts bins, but it is just making sure that someone has the part you need, and arranging the shipping to you, and then there is the trust of making sure you got the part as agreed.

Another is if someone you know, is coming from Europe or the U.S. on a Missionary travel to your area, if they could bring the item with them on their next trip. A lot of options here.

10. tadpole

Hi

I am ready to use the pendrive Linux to put the puppy Linux on my USB. Is it going to over write the info I already have on my flashdrive?

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes it will overwrite anything on the Pendrive. I always keep an extra one laying around, in case I need one for something else. Just copy the files from the Pendrive, to a folder in My Documents on the new computer, or even open up a Cloud drive. Box.com may still offer a 10GB free box.

12. tadpole

Thanks, I have used an empty flash drive. I have removed the Dell Hard drive and plugged the HP Pavilion in and booted up. I have puppy on my desktop. How do I find my hard drive? I have looked in the various icons and not seen anythink I recognise. I realise the HP hard drive may be damaged - just hoping it is not as the water drips landed on the opposite side of the HP.

13. tadpole

Hi

I want to thank you all so much for your help and inputs. I am delighted to say my HP hardrive is alive and well.

I realised with the puppy linux, that I may not have connected the hardrive properly, so I got a torch for better light. I had tried installing it using the connector on the cord. I saw I could pull off a plastic piece which revealed the real connecters. I took off the housing and the HP hardrive slid into place perfectly. With the flash drive with puppy on it connected I booted up. Instead of booting to the puppy, it booted up directly from my HP hardrive, windows vista, just like it used to do. Everything is intact. So now I am copying all my files to flash drive.

Thanks so much, I have just got 4 years of my life and work back!:-D

14. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Forgot to remind you that some manufacturers have a proprietary interface for their drives. I always check the drive first, when pulling it, to make sure the drive does not have one on it.

Now at least you got that headache gone, and recovered what you needed.

I use a five pound mini-sledge to destroy laptop drives. 3.5" drives, a drill, handgun, shotgun, spike driven into the platters in various places,renders them useless.

15. tadpole

Just an update, although I got my old hard drive to work in my new Dell, with your help, I ordered a SATA hard disk enclosure anyway and it arrived by courier today. It is so simple and easy to use! Thanks so much for the advice, now I can just copy the important stuff off it and leave what I don't want on the old drive!:-D

16. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

There is what are called S.M.A.R.T. tools, that will show if anything bad is going on with that old drive. If it shows still usable, just keep it in the enclosure, and use it for temp storage.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds