laptop h/d & external h/d question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sosaman, Apr 6, 2008.

1. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

ok, i'm pretty sure my laptop (older laptop) h/d is bad. i have a h/d enclosure but, i can't fgure out how to get it to work, and/or supply power to the laptop h/d. now, i have a little kit that i bought, but it looks like i can put it either way, so i'm kinda stuck. basically, it's a little board with pins, and a connection for the p/s connector. now, that i look at the board (if you look at the 1st pic), it does say pin #1, now how do i know what pin #1 is on the laptop h/d (i'm assuming that is what it's talking about)? thx, sos

bah, i don't know why my pics don't show up? is the code correct?

[​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10511748@N06/2393620454/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10511748@N06/2392789373/

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

thx, alot fred! i actually thought it went the other way, but i'm glad i asked. that actually looks like the kit i got locally, but i got it for $5 usd. - sos

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

woohoo, i thought i had a bad h/d (it still might be on it's way out)? anyway, at least i'm able to recover more data that's on that drive. i haven't messed with it in over a year or two. but, there was still stuff that i wanted (ie -emails, paid programs, etc).

history on the laptop - the night/day it went out, i was x-ferring data from my laptop to my desktop (wirelessly) i left it running over night, and the next morning the laptop was somewhat dead. it would power up, but it wouldn't recognize the h/d. anyway, i've messed with it here and there (for the last year or two - maybe more), and then finally it wouldn't power up anymore. i finally found some service manuals for my laptop to help disassemble it, but didn't really see anything wrong with it. i'll probably take it all apart (so i can take the m/b out). anyway, thx once again. - sos

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Glad you got it working. Never trust that drive though...

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds