Laptop Hard Drive Recovery Question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TeachPower, Jun 27, 2010.

1. TeachPower

TeachPower Private E-2

My friend's laptop just unexpectantly crashed I guess and says on reboot that it can't find a connected harddrive. I was wondering if there was a way to hook up my laptop to his and recover some of his data using any suggested file in the Recovery section of MajorGeeks before we try to reformat.

Are there any other suggestions on trying to recover any data from a laptop that doesn't seem to be able to "see" a harddrive?

-TeachPower

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  3. TeachPower

TeachPower Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I am knowledgeable about computers but did not know about that device as I haven't had to fix laptop hardware. I will look into it and hopefully recover some data for him. Thanks again for the prompt reply :-D

-TeachPower.net

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You need to first determine the type of HD (EIDE or SATA) in the notebook, then you can get an adaptor similar to this Notebook to IDE Hard Drive Adapter. Or you can get an external drive enclosure for 2.5" drives and attach it to another computer (again, making sure you get the right type).

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

What the >:":">?>????

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your point?

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

The adapter cable you cited is for an IDE drive. But, we don't know whether his laptop has an IDE or a SATA hard drive. As Digerati said, before a proper adapter cable can be chosen, the type of hard drive must be determined.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds