Laptop hardware transfer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kippin, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Kippin

Kippin Private E-2

Here are some details about my situation for those interested, if not skip to the second paragraph to get to the point. The exterior of my laptop basically exploded. The lid is completely screwed and won't close/open (I need a pile of heavy books behind it to keep it open). I tried to find a replacement lid but the manufacturer (Alienware) insists that I pay $560, send the computer in and let them fix it. They refuse to sell me the $60 lid and do the fix myself. I cannot find the lid anywhere online either. I have already tried a home-made fix using epoxy and other things. Point is, I'm sick of this and want laptop that I can actually transport. By the way, this lid problem with Alienware isn't unique. Literally hundreds of m15x owners have reported it and the company won't do anything except suggest you pay half a grand to let them fix it for you...and by fix I mean replace the cheap lid with the same one that is causing the problem. Anyways... I will NOT pay for the repair, even if it is my best option. I refuse to deal with Alienware again as this is only one problem out of countless that I've had with their awful product and service.

What I want to do is buy a really cheap laptop and harvest the hardware from my broken laptop. I am completely clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff so my question is, how do I go about buying a cheap laptop and inspecting it to make sure I can put some hardware from my old one in it. I am primarily interested in transferring my graphics card and RAM over. The GC is an nVidia gtx 8800. I'm not sure if it is even possible to put that in any laptops outside of Alienware brand.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

It will probably end up being more trouble than its worth,you have to find a 'barebone's' or broken laptop with an mxm slot which is mobile PCI-E slot,they come in four flavours so check which your 8800 is first.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Upgrade-Replace-a-Notebook-Video-Card.3236.0.html

For memory basically if you choose a laptop with roughly the same CPU and chipset the memory will work fine,just make sure the notebook you buy accepts your memory type and speed you can find that out by googling the chipset,it will be either DDR or DDR2.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds