Laptop Is Super Slow To Boot And Then Randomly Freezes Over And Over.

Discussion in 'Software' started by rextoba, Nov 6, 2016.

1. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

Wife handed me her laptop and said it's super slow. so made sure everything was up to date and ran avast, super antispyware, malwarebytes. spybot search and destroy. Tried Tweaking.com and still was not working properly, better but still really slow to boot and would freeze but not as much. Ran the read and run me first in several stages at first but was hampered by freeze up and re-boots. Found there was an update for the bios and did the update. Still the same but managed to re-do all the scans and completed all the steps as directed by staff in the Malware sub-forum and was told to report here as it seems as if the issues is possibly windows related. Laptop is a HP 14-n047ca running Windows 10. I've also been experiencing a blue screen error "thread stuck in device driver" that causes a restart which takes 15 min. or more. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance~

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

rextoba likes this.
  3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

That laptop came with Windows 8 originally and apparently, was updated to Win 8.1 and then 10. It may not have been tested for compatibility with Win 10 by HP. HP hasn't been anxious to update it's device drivers for Win 10 hence, the device driver BSOD. They'd rather you bought a new machine.

Are you aware that there is an AC Power cord safety recall and replacement program for this model?

rextoba and dr.moriarty like this.
  4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

They do offer Windows 10 64 bit drivers
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...n-14-Notebook-PC-series/5405508/model/6421967
    You have to first select Windows and the in the next box Window 10 64 bit.

Download the graphics driver from HP because from reading a few posts, I see that the error "thread stuck in device driver" is frequently caused by a video driver.

If it seems better, then go into the Windows 10 settings and turn off driver updates.

rextoba likes this.
  5. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

Since I posted yesterday evening it won't even load the desktop completely before it freezes up. I pushed the power button 40 minutes ago and it took 20 minutes to load the background and a few things on the taskbar and then it froze. It froze for 20m minutes and then the clock jumped to current time and the desktop items loaded. Right now the clock is running but I have no cursor showing up, Not sure what to do.
    I found out about the cord recall when I went to HP Support, Thanks!
    Not sure what avenue to take first. I'll try the ccleaner and submit the text file if I can first.
    Thanks for all you all do!

6. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

Ccleaner startup text attached.

Attached Files:

7. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

8. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

Well I was able to get into safe mode with networking. Last night i was able to update the video driver from HP but I still got the bsod at one point later. I went to bed. Not sure what to do next. Any thoughts?

9. the mekanic

Looking at the BIOS date, this laptop looks to be about a year old. That would tend to rule out major issues like RAM or HDD problems, but they can happen.

Have you re-seated the RAM modules?

10. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

I just did a bios update after it started acting up. It's actually over 3 years old. It's just sitting in safe mode right now but hasn't frozen and no bsod. I haven't opened it up to check the ram. I haven't noticed any behaviours since it's been in safe mode.

11. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

If the problems don't exist in safe mode, what can I deduce from that?

12. the mekanic

We can likely deduce that it's software related. Just to double check the HDD, you can use HDSentinel to get us a basic picture of the hard drive's condition:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hard_disk_sentinel.html

I do have a few questions:

Did you run Tweaking while in Safe Mode?

What type of scans did you perform while in Safe Mode?

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers via Safe Mode?

Is this machine certifiably "clean"?

13. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

I don't believe I ran anything in safe mode. I ran everything as outlined in the Malware removal guide and then everything else afterwards was run as per Dr. Moriarty's instructions. I don't believe there was anything serious found but I came to this sub-forum right after he said there was nothing else to clean. The only things I've done since coming to this section was the clean-up he recommended and removing the programs that were installed as per the removal guide and associated log files. Should I do the tweaking in safe mode or uninstall and re-install video drivers in safe-mode?

14. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

I have not done the toggle system restore yet.

15. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

I ran the hard disk sentinel. Log is attached. Thanks for help!

Attached Files:

16. the mekanic

I would start with the AMD clean uninstall tool:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

Reboot, and then boot back into Safe Mode to run Tweaking. Tweaking should really only be run from Safe Mode.

P.S. Video driver here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64

If you have Crimson installed, the could be the root of your problem. Catalyst is the best drive/software package for your graphics adapter. Try getting Catalyst installed, the Tweaking later if you think you need it, or to err on the side of caution.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  17. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

Thanks again. I'll post back with the outcome.

18. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

How can i stop the video driver from taking an update? After I install catalyst the computer wants to update to crimson.

19. the mekanic

It's legacy. It's supposed to stick with Catalyst. Matter of fact, my old HD4850 stuck with Catalyst.

Just to make it stick, open Catalyst after install and under the "Information" tab uncheck the box that says "Automatically update".

20. rextoba

rextoba Private E-2

I unchecked the update box and so far so good. Thank you so much for all your help. It seems to be running just like it used to. You folks are awesome!

21. the mekanic

You're welcome. Glad we got it sorted out. Sometimes software issues can be tricky. It's always best to rule out hardware first.

Come on by anytime!

rextoba likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds