Laptop Issue: Zero Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeronkey, May 26, 2012.

1. Jeronkey

Jeronkey Private E-2

Hey.

I'm sitting with an old laptop that I'm trying to get working again. I press the power button, and it lights up and the fan and other business get to work.. but the screen remains completely dead. It isn't dark and just hard to see. It is dead. It doesn't even change to a lighter grey.

I've tested the RAM with that of a different machine. No luck.
    I've tried it plugged into an external monitor. No luck.
    I've taken the laptop's screen off and tested it on another laptop - it works fine.

Any idea what the problem could be? or is it dead and gone to laptop heaven?

Thanks
    Jer

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sounds like onboard video is dead since you get no display on an external monitor.
    To be 100% positive that the video is gone, be sure to click the function key that toggles the display between the laptop and an external monitor. If the external remains black then it is the video chip on your motherboard.

3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

4. JonBoyFishhead

JonBoyFishhead Private First Class

By taking the LCD off and trying it in another system, that pretty much assures that the issue is with either the LCD cable, the motherboard, or you just need to hit the Fn key plus another key....usually this is the F8 key to toggle between video outputs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds