Laptop issues: Delayed startup, browser(s) will not function

Discussion in 'Software' started by rkeric, Dec 10, 2010.

1. rkeric

rkeric Private E-2

I could sure use some help with my laptop.

Over the past six months, it has become infected with the AV Security Suite and ThinkPoint viruses or malware or whatever they are. Using the various tools indicated in the forums here, I was able to remove AV Security Suite, and the computer seemed to work fine for about a month. Then ThinkPoint happened, and I removed it but since that happened the computer has a very slow startup and neither of my browsers will work (firefox, ie7). I was unable to use system restore because previous check points were wiped out.

After 15-20 minutes from boot, the laptop works fine (with the exception of the browser issues).

I do get the following message when the computer is in hibernation:

"Windows System Error

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API"

When I check the status of the internet connection, it says it is linked and the signal is excellent, but also says the status is "associated," whereas my desktop (which I am using now to send this message) says the status is "connected."

My operating system is XP Pro Service Pack 3. I use the same modem for both computers, with a wireless router.

I have run the following scans described in the forums for cleaning Windows XP machines: SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, RootRepeal and MGTools. The logs (attached) show almost nothing is found. I also ran CCleaner and Combofix when I first had problems with AV Security Suite. I have not run Combofix again because I remember reading warnings about it.

I thank you in advance for any assistance.

Attached Files:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. rkeric

rkeric Private E-2

Oops my bad. I'll repost in the correct forum. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds