Laptop LCD screen or screen connection issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RichLiv, Sep 17, 2007.

1. RichLiv

RichLiv Private E-2

Have Dell Latitude D400 Laptop which is several years old. For many months, had minor problem where LCD screen would have partial garbled horizontal lines, but when I shifted the screen angle -- moved screen on hinges -- back and forth slightly, then screen would be fine. But recently, the bottom 70% of the screen has turned to olive green mush with a few other vertical lines, where as the top 30% of the screen is fine. When I connect external monitor to rear jack, I am able to see all the graphics there and the hardware and software otherwise performing. When run built-in diagnostics, get graphics error with no external monitor, but all tests just fine when ext monitor connected. Conclusion from on line chat with Dell Tech was LCD Screen problem and referred me to the toll free SALES phone number -- meaning just purchase another one.

How do I know if the problem is the LCD screen being shot, or possibly just needing to clean or repair the connection through the hinges from the CPU/graphics card to the screen itself? If the latter, who should I seek to do such a repair or can I get guidance to open the unit and try myself as I am technically comfortable doing so with instruction? And given the cost of new laptops today, if I need to go outside for repairs, where should I look and up to what cost do you think is worth it, vs just abandon and purchase a new one.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Could be a bad connection or the LCD might be shot. I would take it apart and at least poke around if it is no longer under warranty. Dell has some pretty good service manuals on their site. I think yours is here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd400/en/index.htm#online_documentation

If you don't find anything obvious wrong with it, you can most likely get a screen off FleaBay for a few bucks and try it out.

Or just get some huge hinges and mod a 50" plasma screen on it... :D

Good luck!

E

3. RichLiv

RichLiv Private E-2

Fred_G -- thanks for the advise and link to the Service Manuals. It was going to cost me $100 to have it diagnosed, so I will see if I can use the manuals to open it up and look for a loose cable or connection. I was not familiar with FleaBay for parts, so I will check that out too. Much appreciated!!!

RichLiv

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

5. RichLiv

RichLiv Private E-2

Fred_G -- thanks again. I did print the relevant Dell Service manual pages, plus did the eBay search. I took it apart this AM and did not find any loose LCD cable connections. Disconnected and reconnected the cable. Put it back together and no change in the situation.

n the D400 Screen page, I see two "used" display assemblies for sale which include the screen, frame, hinges, and cable already in place. Since I am not positive the problem is the screen itself, I think purchasing the total assembly and doing a swap out is the best approach to give me another year before getting a new one. That is just a few screws and one cable connection so easy. Some of the resellers are offering just cables, LCD inverter boards, etc.

Will let you know how I fare.

RichLiv

6. RichLiv

RichLiv Private E-2

Fred G -- just letting you know that I did do the eBay thing and purchased an entire used display upper half that was salvaged from another identical laptop that must have been scrapped. That way, all I had to do was unscrew 6 screens and the display connector and replace it with the other one. Cost with shipping was about $135 which perhaps is steep, but if it gives me another year with this lap top before purchasing a new one, then I guess I am happy.

Once again, thanks for your advice and guidance.

RL

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That does seem a little steep on the price, but one that works is well, worth more. Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for posting back on your thread here.

E:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds