Laptop Memory settings wrong?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterpan8, Dec 9, 2005.

1. peterpan8

peterpan8 Private E-2

I just upgraded my Compaq laptop from 512mb pc2700, 333MHz DDR sdram (2-256mb sticks) to 1,280 mb (as shown in "system information") by removing 1 256 mb stick and adding a 1 gig stick. To make sure it was working properly, I ran Memtest 86+. It reports the memory settings as 132MHz (DDR 264), rather than what I expected -- 166MHz (DDR 333). The wimpy Compaq bios has no place to change the settings. Should my memory be running at these settings , is Memtest in error, or is there some other software that is downloadable to make changes?

2. Fertyop

Fertyop Corporal

Having 2 memory sticks with different clock speeds can lower it. Try removing the other 256mb card and see what it says.

3. peterpan8

peterpan8 Private E-2

The 256mb sticks have the same clock speed as the 1 gig stick. I tried taking the 256mb stick out and running it with just 1 gig , and I tried changing it back to the original configuration of 512mb, and no matter what, memtest still shows it as running at 132MHz (DDR264)/CAS 2.5-3-3-

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds