Laptop Modification?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2kProUsa, May 14, 2006.

1. 2kProUsa

2kProUsa Private E-2

I have an old compal laptop that I use for school. It has

1 Ghz Pentium III
    512mb Ram
    80GB HD
    CDRW
    Windows XP.

The thing is, I just found out that the CPU is infact a Desktop CPU not a Laptop type, and it has a heatsink and a fan undernearth, sometimes my keyboard gets a bit hot, its frustrating to type and I wait untill it cools down. Is there a way to modify this compartment so I can add like four fans to keep it cooled? or like a water cooling system because is pissing me off a bit.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well all laptops have a HS of some sort and I was working on one the other day and it was almost as loud as my desktop . Laptops do get hot and frankly that is to be expected and from what I have read to date their CPU will run hotter than desktop so this probably what you are experiencing.

Here is a link for disassembly of laptops in case you want to remove, clean, refresh the thermal interface material and replace the HS. I would start here as I bet it hasn't been cleaned out ever.

http://www.irisvista.com/

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Nice link!!! Have to bookmark that one!!

4. technaut

technaut Private E-2

This is a higher-end laptop...

BEagle made a good call on checkin' the ductwork (for lint, etc.).

Also, I've almost never seen, except once, warnings about blocking the fan intake with the laptop sitting on something that's blocking the intake. Note carefully where it is, in relation to where the laptop is actually sitting... My gateway's fan intake is right where my left knee likes to support the base.

Last edited: May 15, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds